Pub Of The Month - February 2024 with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

Stricklandgate
Kendal
LA9 4RF

Ian Mapp left this review about New Union

10/10 for the "unique" experience and the signs that everything was being done to make this a great pub.

At night, it frankly looks rather terrifying on the outside.

Inside, its large and spread over open plan rooms.

So a Saturday night and what was the "unique" experience. Well, the place had been taken over by the Isle of Man football supporters, who were in such a level of exuberance that it was impossible to guess they had shipped five goals.

An excellent band struck up and until you have seen a club mascot - in this case a man in a football kit with a giant raven's head - jiving to an Average White Band cover, you havent lived.

This is not enough for a 10 rating but a fine collection of international and local beers swings it. I was on Kernal Table beer on cask and my friends at the other end of the spectrum on pints of Zot in the correct chalice. I didn't even know Zot came in pints.

One to revisit but one that will stick in the memory for a long time.

GBG 2024

On 27th February 2024 - rating: 10

Will Larter left this review about New Union

My wish, seven years ago, that this pub would improve from what I perceived as a bit of a low point, has been fulfilled. Externally, it's still pretty scruffy, and still says Union Tavern rather than New Union, but if they can't be bothered to paint the building it's a bit much to expect them to rename it too. However, since 2019 it has been a regular winner of the local Camra branch's pub of the year and cider pub of the year. My recent visit was my first for a long time and it has definitely improved. My half of Westmorland Copper Dragon - nothing to do with the old Copper Dragon brewery, but I've not been able to find out anything about Westmorland except that it started in 2015, with a lapse caused by the Storm Desmond floods - was a very good beer, very well kept and presented (NBSS 4). The guy behind the bar was very keen and so enthusiastic about beers that I had no time at all to look around and certainly didn't make any notes, so this review is entirely based on memory. It looks like I might have to go back again soon.

On 24th December 2023 - rating: 7

Old Boots left this review about New Union

Camra's National Cider Pub of the Year 2019

On 5th October 2019 - no rating submitted

Will Larter left this review about New Union

Formerly the Union Tavern, now the New Union to signify the takeover by an experienced pub couple, previously at the Jolly Anglers in Burneside. At the time of my visit they'd only been open a couple of months. It was very quiet, and after they'd served me they carried on with a private game of darts between themselves. There were three beers on the four hand pumps: Kirkby Lonsdale Ruskins and Tiffin Gold, plus Bowness Bay Swan Blonde. Unfortunately my Ruskins had been hanging around in the pipes for too long and was a bit off. I hope things have improved since then.

Date of visit: 29th May 2016