Beer of the Week (w/e 10th November 2019) with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

Franfield Road
Uckfield
TN22 5AJ

Steve C left this review about The Alma

The Alma is a back street local’s boozer with a seating area to the right of the entrance and a compact bar to the left that was populated with a handful of locals who were propping up the bar during a recent Saturday afternoon visit. In the thin bar area I spied some more seating at the rear beyond a dartboard and bar billiards table. There was some background music playing from the jukebox and the muted TV was airing football results.
I counted five hand pumps that were drawing Weston’s Rosie’s Pig cider alongside four offerings from Harveys Brewery who run this pub. I didn’t see any food advertised, but this does not mean that food is unavailable.
Out the back is a paved beer garden with round picnic tables that come complete with umbrellas. There is also a car park.
I found the barman to be polite and the locals harmless enough. If I lived locally I would use this pub.

On 23rd June 2016 - rating: 7

Aqualung . left this review about The Alma

This is a long standing Harvey's pub that has been a GBG regular for donkey's years. The last time I came here was in the nineties when the then tenant saw fit to close up at 14:30 every day of the week including weekends. Happily it has now moved into modern times as I found it open around 15:00 on a Saturday afternoon. Inside it's a single room with a central bar but clearly the left side was once the public bar and the saloon on the right. The public side has wooden floors and the saloon is carpeted with some sort of function room behind some sliding doors. I noticed the public bar had bar billiards and darts.
The bar has two sets of hand pumps but there were four Harvey's beers and Rosie's Pig Cider. The Harvey's beers were the relatively rare Sussex Dark Mild, WIld Hop, Best and Olympia available soon. I tried the Mild (£3.05) and the Wild Hop (£3.10) both of which were in excellent nick.
Harvey's pubs do tend to be good and this is no exception, probably one of the better ones. It's an excellent old school local boozer.

On 21st June 2015 - rating: 8