WHERE are you drinking RIGHT NOW. with AlanH on the Pub Forum

Marine Parade
Hastings
TN34 3AG

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Albion

We really enjoyed this pub and thought the staff were excellent, along with the well kept ales. There is a very interesting description of the pub's history below on the Camra Pub Heritage link. Four ales on handpump, Harveys Old Ale, Harveys Sussex Bitter, Three Legs English IPA and Bedlam Phoenix. We went for the Three Legs and the Bedlam.

On 6th November 2019 - rating: 8

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Albion

A pub of two parts (and two entrances), and subject of a careful refurbishment in recent years. The beachfront public bar (accessed from marine Parade) initially appears quite basic, with limited furniture and decor dominated by a high-level frieze above the counter, but there are a few heritage features if you look carefully. The impressive dark Wm Younger & Co wood-panelling featuring various tartans makes the perpendicular lounge (with its own door off George Street) rather gloomy, but this is a more relaxing place to sit. Pie-based menu. Regular live music advertised. A total of seven handpumps is divided between the two counters, offering Hophead (£3.90), two from Three Legs - Dark Pale and English IPA - and the inevitable Harvey's when I visited. Overall, a considerable improvement from its previous incarnation as the Royal Albion.

On 1st July 2018 - rating: 7

Steve C left this review about The Royal Albion

I popped into here on Monday evening last week and I was the only customer apart from a guy sitting at the bar who I think was the barmaids mate. She was nice enough, but the Guinness was off so I went for the Landlord which was a decent enough pint. There are another two hand pumps, but they were both drawing Bass which is a bit lazy. I think that there is a TV hidden away in a wooden case on the wall in a corner of the pub and a piano is present that is used for a sing-a-long session every Sunday from 15:00. It’s probably a little livelier on Friday and Saturday nights when the karaoke is in town, if that’s your bag. The seating is made up of conventional tables and chairs and there are a couple of fireplaces that were both unused during my visit. There is a jukebox, but this was switched off and the team of Arrow FM were on hand to delight me with their Simply Red tracks and advertisements for local businesses. There is an entrance off the pedestrianised George Street and from the Marine Parade opposite where five outside picnic tables are situated. There is a separate restaurant that was closed during my visit and the toilets are located downstairs.

I think that this place is a bit tired and living off of its location. I will walk past when next in the area.

On 24th February 2011 - rating: 4

Manky Badger left this review about The Royal Albion

Six months ago I said I wouldn't be going back. Well, I did. What is it with this place?
It could be good - it's got half way decent decor, and three ales on. But when I'm playing tourist in Hastings in the mid afternoon there is never anyone in this place. That's not "not many people", that's no one at all. Not a single soul.

12 March 2007
It was grim when I was a teenager in Hastings, and now twenty five years later, it's worse. I visited it out of a sense of nostalgia, but won't be going back.

On 17th November 2007 - rating: 3