All-time favourite factual programmes/presenters. with rpadam on the Pub Forum

33 Moor Lane
Lancaster
LA1 1QD

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Golden Lion (The Whittle)

Known as the Whittle, which was the surname of one of the Pendle witches who would have had their last tipple at this pub before being hanged further up the hill, if only it had been built in time. OK, there was a pub here, but this building is more recent. I often went in here when I lived in Lancaster, but friends and workmates wouldn't say "see you in the Golden Lion, then", it was always referred to as the Whittle. It was a Matthew Brown pub in those days, but now has an array of hand pumps(see photos - there was also Butcombe Bitter and Old Rosie cider). I was soon engaged in conversation by a group of regulars, after I pretended to be making notes of their slightly ribald banter when all I was doing was noting which beer I had (Brakspear Gravity 3.6%) and forgetting to note how much it cost (£1.75 for a half, according to my memory). The other beers were all from northern breweries (if you allow Nottingham to be northern). My memory of the interior of nearly 40 years ago is hazy, so I can't say how much the pub has changed (did it always have brass rails for elbows and feet, plus hooks for your hand bag?), but it's still a good place to go for the craic.

On 17th February 2020 - rating: 7

Brainy Pool left this review about Golden Lion

extremely nice and cosy traditional pub attracting a mixed clientele at weekends. there always seems to be a dog in here too. probably my favourite in Lancaster.

On 16th April 2018 - rating: 9

custodian 42 left this review about Golden Lion

Side street pub with three weak ales and usual keg offerings.

On 15th July 2017 - rating: 4

Al Bundy left this review about Golden Lion

It looks a bit unkempt outside and is a bit untidy inside but its quite good. 5 real ales on on my visit. Long and slimish interior with little snugs. Had a thoroughly bored looking dog resting on one of the seats.

On 4th March 2015 - rating: 6

Quinno _ left this review about The Golden Lion

Attractive building with nice leaded stained glass windows. The ale was a let down - the OP was only fit for the fish and chip shop and the replacement wasn't a huge improvement. Interesting carved tabletop relaying the tale of the Pendle Witches was a saving grace. I want to like this place but the taste of the beer has put me off a return visit any time soon.

On 13th July 2008 - rating: 4