Euros Prediction League with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

Canterbury
CT1 1NP

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The New Inn

I passed this likely looking back street local before opening time, and by coincidence had it recommended to me by the first person I talked to (we were waiting outside the Butchers Arms for it to open, but that's another story), so decided to call in for a last beer later that day. It's a fairly narrow room with bare boards, bench seating around the walls and stools at the bar. A group of locals were gathered around the landlady at the bar, partly obscuring the seven real ales on the hand pumps at the part of the bar where they were sat. I went for the Musket Flintlock 4.2% (brewed in Maidstone) and settled down away from the bar. The other beers were from Brockley, Blackjack, Red Willow, Otter, Gadds and Padstow.

As Ian says below, the landlady really knows her job - her husband pours the drinks and she entertains the customers. She has a knack of keeping the conversation flowing and even brought me into a discussion about vegan food, having no idea that I was a vegetarian: it was just the way she draws her customers together. I left promising to return if I'm ever in Canterbury again.

On 12th May 2019 - rating: 8

Ian Mapp left this review about The New Inn

GBG 2019 Entry. Back Street Terraced locals boozer just out the City Walls. You have to go looking for it.

Lovely greeting from the landlady. So easy to provide but so rare.

Six or so real ales on. Played safe with a decent Adnams Ghost Ship.

Visit blogged at http://bit.ly/2NZ78v5

On 11th March 2019 - rating: 7

Real Ale Ray left this review about The New Inn

A good traditional pub, which luckily enough was open on our Monday lunchtime visit. We were greeted by a friendly and bubbly landlady/owner who made us most welcome and we were soon included in the banter with the locals. The owner, Katrina, told us that she has drank in the pub from the days when she was a young student and quoted back then to the previous owners that if they ever sold the pub could she buy it, well here she is the new owner.
The pub did have a lot of nationals on handpump, where she explained that her regular ale drinkers choose what beers they want each week. Unfortunately for us, we missed out on two from the Old Dairy Brewery, which were on last week. Seven ales on pump, so we went for Oakham Helter Skelter and Skinners Big Knocker, which got some laughs from the locals.

On 13th November 2016 - rating: 8

Aqualung . left this review about The New Inn

The New Inn is set in a terraced street and to me looked from the outside just like any of the other houses. It's been around for a while as it's listed as a Free House in my old Kent beer guide from over 20 years ago.
Inside it's a small wooden floored L shaped room with a long conservatory and a further small area off it at the rear. It looked like there was some sort of garden behind that.
I saw seven hand pumps of which two were unused (it was a Tuesday afternoon) so the five beers were Oakham JHB, Woodforde Wherry, Adnam's Ghost Ship & Cashmere IPA and Purity UBU. This seemed a bit mainstream but I suspect that was just the luck of the draw.
The old school governor was cheerful, friendly and enthusiastic about his beer. He insisted I try the Oakham JHB which had just come on so I did (£3.10) and it was fine as well as being a reasonable price compared to some Canterbury pubs. It was closing soon after I arrived but I had to move on anyway.
I really liked this back street pub.

On 17th October 2016 - rating: 8

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The New Inn

Old-fashioned side-street local of the sort the has almost vanished in many parts of the country. Narrow terraced frontage, leading to two small rooms (that once housed a school apparently) and a conservatory to the rear. Suitably traditional furniture and decor. Usually has about seven real ales on handpump, but I was lucky to find a beer festival underway when I visited with 16 beers on stillage in the rear patio beer garden (including Gadds Rye Pale Ale and Hop Studio XP). Recommended.

On 24th August 2014 - rating: 8