Yet another list with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

L1 2SP

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Gill Smith left this review about The Dispensary

Enjoyed our visit to this 2019 Good Beer Guide pub. Good beer selection with beers from Titanic, George Wright, Rat, Fernandes and Fyne. We chose Fernandes Black Voodoo which was the best beer we had over the last couple of days. Popular locals pub.

On 21st August 2019 - rating: 8

Jon B left this review about The Dispensary

great pub serving great beer and nothing more or less. completely traditional in every way. loved it but suspect it was unusually quiet this afternoon - we were the only ones choosing to sit down whilst 12 or so bar blocking regulars chatted away.

On 23rd May 2018 - rating: 8

Al Bundy left this review about The Dispensary

A good pub that seems to have lost its way recently. While I accept that non-frequent visitors will find the real ale selection good, the more regular may begin to find it all a bit repetitive. While the Titanic's Plum Porter and First Class plus the George Wright Marks Mild are readily available the rest of the beers now seem to be a permanent rotation of Rat Brewery beers with the occasional Fernandes beer thrown in. I'm not knocking the pub but the variety of guest breweries could improve.

On 27th January 2016 - no rating submitted

Aqualung . left this review about The Dispensary

The doormat as you enter reveals that this was once the Grapes and I believe it was renamed to the Dispensary when the defunct Cain's brewery took it on. The exterior retains Cain's signage. Inside it's a classic Northern pub with a fairly small wooden floored back room and another area at the front. Beers noted were the house George Wright Mark's Mild, Titanic First Class & Plum Porter, Downton Bogus Buffalo, Fernandes Black Voodoo, Rat White Rat and Oakham Inferno. I went for the Bogus Buffalo (£3.30) which was in excellent nick. I also popped in again on the way back from the Roscoe Head for a Black Voodoo which was even better. It wasn't quite as busy on my second visit. This is a famous Liverpool drinking den and didn't disappoint.

On 23rd July 2015 - rating: 9

Quinno _ left this review about The Dispensary

Small two-tiered corner pub. Lower bar to front and a raised lounge to the rear. Lower bar is L-shaped with partitioned drinking areas, with a nice wooden bar and surround structure. Wall mounted TVs, muted and showing nothing in particular - why not just switch them off? Upper area is carpeted with stool, perch and banquette seating. Items of note included some large mirror vinyl (not etched glass) and stained glass, though oddly the three ornate pendant light fittings were not on. Mature clientèle. The toilets were atrocious, a proper yellow reservoir. Star of the show are the ales (I counted seven - keep an eye out for the three pumps hidden round the corner). I tried three, Titanic Plum Porter, George Wright Mild and Titanic First Class which were all in superb condition. A very good ale pub this, but bring your own catheter if you’re doing a session - would have given a rare 10 otherwise.

On 15th January 2015 - rating: 9

david hammill left this review about The Dispensary

i call in this pub when ever in liverpool and usually is very good but on this occasion quite the opposite i and pint of white cloud which was rather poor and had a pint of cains bitter also rather poor to make matters the landlords behavior letf a lot to be desired we were told to move our coats off the buffets because the pub can get quite busy but it was the manner in which he said this rather abrupt some time later as we were leaving we saw him rather heated debate with other customers not a nice man at all

On 3rd March 2013 - rating: 5

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Dispensary

ORIGINAL REVIEW March 2012
This pub was the last but certainly not the least on the 12 pub PuG crawl and hence my recollection is vague.A classic Victorian street corner boozer with a good selection of real ale and an authentic interior.My George Wright's Mark's Mild was outstanding and despite my pallet being confused by a lot of ale during the day,this was my beer of the crawl.I have marked this pub down for a definite revist when I will have a thirsty boating crew in tow later in the year.

UPDATE
And so I did.Second visit and the second time a Marble beer was on,this time Pint,and in my book that makes this place unmissable on any trip to Liverpool.They also had on Titanic Chocolate Vanilla Stout,my favourite of this style which also marks down their ale selection as Premier division.An upgrade from me.

On 10th July 2012 - rating: 9
[User has posted 1977 recommendations about 1977 pubs]

Danny O'Revey left this review about The Dispensary

Back end of town, this is a fine beer pub with plenty of choice of real ale. Its not large, there is the bar area as you walk in and a further raised area on the left. Its comfortable in a local kind of way, with padded benches and chairs. Thw position against the road makes it quite light inside from the windows and there are old pictures on the walls.

The beer quality is superb!

On 28th March 2012 - rating: 8

Pub SignMan left this review about The Dispensary

This is a simple but excellent single room pub just a short walk from Lime Street and Central stations. The interior is relatively basic, with wooden floors and white walls plus the odd bit of attractive panelling and partitioning. The windows have etched glass, although I think they are relatively recent additions. Seating at the front of the pub and opposite the servery is limited to a few long benches and standard chairs, although a raised seating area at the rear of the room provides additional options. There are a couple of display cabinets around the room with what appeared to be medicinal bottles inside, presumably to tie in with the pubs name, whilst a number of old metal signs adorn the walls to the rear, including a large ‘Liverpool: Drive With Care’ road sign. For some strange reason, the pub’s old name (The Grapes) is still spelt out in large letters above the bar.
The pub is the current Liverpool and District CAMRA pub of the Year and they certainly did their best to convince me of their worthiness to such a title with a very strong line up of Cain’s Bitter and Blonde Bird, Oakham Inferno, Marble Chocolate Marble, George Wright Marks Mild and Hawkshead Lakeland Gold, which was later replaced by Hawkshead NZPA – the latter being a highlight amongst all the great beer sampled in Liverpool, although at 6% I had to restrict my consumption lest I should end up more bombed out than the church around the corner.
I really liked the simplicity of this place – it may not have the architectural splendour of the Philharmonic or the vast beer range of the Ship and Mitre, but it makes the best of everything it does have and creates a drinking environment that is the match for anywhere in town.

On 8th March 2012 - rating: 9

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Dispensary

Bought by Cains in 1998 and re-invented as a Victorian style alehouse. Pharmaceutical items fixtures and fittings from old chemist shops are on display. Won Camra Liverpool and Districts Pub of the Year 2010 and 2011. I downed quite a few pints of George Wrights Marks Mild on my last visit. Brilliant!

On 9th February 2012 - rating: 10