Random news of the day with london calling on the Pub Forum

The Atlas, West Brompton, SW6

16 Seagrave Road
SW6
SW6 1RX
Phone: 02073859129

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Pub SignMan left this review about The Atlas

This is a nice old side street pub just a short walk from West Brompton station. The pub's exterior is notable on approach thanks to some pretty extensive foliage around the building, making it look like an attractive proposition before you've even entered the place. inside, you find a bare boarded room with the servery along the left hand wall and a partially retained partitioning screen about one third of the way into the room which has a lovely frosted glass upper section. The front part of the room has a mix of pews and chairs centred around a brick fireplace with lots of framed photographs studding an otherwise rather plain set of cream walls. The bar has a nice dark wood counter and bar back and the counter has what appears to be a modern replacement top and an original checker-board tiled spittoon trough along the base which suggests to me that this is a former Trumans pub. The rear potion of the room has more of the same seating around another brick fireplace, above which hangs a Trumans mirror to further my suspicions. the tables in this rear part of the room were set up more for those wanting to eat and right on cue, I spotted an open kitchen on the back wall. This area has been decked out in some attractive wood panels and to the right I noticed a door out to a fantastic split level courtyard garden. There were also signs for an upstairs room, but I did not manage to locate this. At least on TV screen was mounted on the wall, but it remained off and rather refreshingly, there was no music playing throughout the course of my visit.
Four ales were on at the bar - Black Sheep Bitter, Sharps Doom Bar, Taylor Landlord and Twickenham Naked Ladies. The latter was priced at £4.30 a pint and was in decent shape, served to me by a friendly barman.
I thought this was a very smart, well presented pub with comfortable furnishings, a reasonable ale range and a great garden which makes it well worth knowing about if you're in the area. I enjoyed my brief visit here and would suggest it's one of the better options around the direct vicinity of the station.

On 23rd July 2018 - rating: 7

Alan Winfield left this review about The Atlas

The Atlas is a nice looking pub that is just off the main road through West Brompton.
Once inside there is a single oblong shaped room which runs to the rear,the room is bare boarded,the seating is a mix of pew type and normal tables and chairs,there was a TV to the front left which was showing tennis on mute,decent background music was playing.
There were four real ales on the bar,i had a drink of Otter Bitter which went down very well,the other beers were Harveys bitter,Sharps Coaster and Doom Bar.
I really took to this pub,one i could stay in for a session.

Pub visited 1/7/2015

On 1st July 2015 - rating: 8

Moby Duck left this review about The Atlas

A very nice looking pub inside and out well described by Malden Man below,the beer selection was a little run of the mill but my St Austell Tribute was in decent shape although at £4.15 a pint over priced in my book,certainly worth a look in here and the menu looked quite good but I won't be going out of my way to return.

On 7th September 2014 - rating: 6

hondo . left this review about The Atlas

Traditional wooden interior as described below. 4 real ales and food served.

On 15th August 2014 - no rating submitted

Malden man left this review about The Atlas

The pub is extensively covered in ivy outside and has a selection of attractive hanging baskets which to me suggest a cared for establishment worthy of patronage. I wasn't wrong, I liked this pub a great deal, despite being opened up into one room there a lots of old and possibly original features, a mid point high level screen with obscure leaded glazing is likely a remnant of a front and back room divide, the rear area has some good quality wood panelling with two fireplaces and a Truman's mirror set into the wood, scribed on the upper areas are "London Stout", "Ben Truman's", "Burton Bitter" and "Barley Wine". Dark red coving, boarded flooring, regular seating at varying sized tables. Food served, there is a servery hatch to the rear, mains generally £10-£12, menus and an extensive wine list on chalkboards.
The TV was showing the 6 Nations rugby, board games available on a small side table. Some outdoor seating to a side passage.
The handpumps offered Hog's Back TEA, Pride and Otter Bitter, quality was good.
I enjoyed my short afternoon stay here, it was laid back and comfortable, it probably isn't when Chelsea play at home, Stamford Bridge is a wild miskick away, choose your timings to suit.

On 18th March 2014 - rating: 7

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Atlas

Nice - if very expensive - pub, still retaining part of a screen dividing the former public and lounge bars (the latter with wood panelling, but plainer decor in the front). Has had a gastro-pub makeover, but still much more of a pub atmosphere than I was expecting. Two function rooms upstairs (not visited). Busy, but well staffed. Four real ales on handpump, with Pride, Doom Bar, TT Golden Best and Hogs Back TEA (£4.00) available when I visited.

On 21st March 2013 - rating: 7

Clive Thompson left this review about The Atlas

From a distance this is not obviously a pub, they could perhaps do with an A-board on the main road or at least a hanging pub sign (I supose there might be one behind all the flowers). Nice little bare board pub with a decent selection of drinks including 3 real ales. Good service and Sunday newspapers available. Outside seating is essentially just an enclosed alleyway alongside the pub. Menu leans towards gastro rather than pub grub.

On 14th August 2010 - rating: 6

Allie Collins left this review about The Atlas

I work near the Atlas and for years it's been a brilliant gem of a pub in an area with a decided lack of decent drinking venues. Over the years the company I work for has spent thousands of pounds in the Atlas as it's always been our automatic choice for birthdays, lunches, leaving drinks and after-work pints.

Until a couple of months ago, we'd always received excellent service and we'd never had a bad night in the Atlas. However, they now have a new member of staff (possibly the manager?) who seems to have a serious attitude problem. A few weeks ago we were there as a company for someone's leaving drinks and, having been in the pub since 4.30pm, at 11pm we were unceremoniously told by this barman/manager chap to 'drink up and leave'.

Then last night a group of us went in for a couple of after-work drinks and three of us were sitting having a normal conversation when the barman/manager came over and said 'Look, ladies - I don't mind you being here but you're going to have to stop swearing'. We weren't swearing and we hadn't even raised our voices - it's not as if we were sitting there effing and blinding and being rowdy! There were far more noisy groups in the pub, but for some reason we were singled out. We asked other members of staff if anyone had complained about us, and they didn't know what we were talking about.

Suffice to say that was the final straw and we won't be going back - so well done to that barman for losing the pub a large group of very loyal customers.

On 6th August 2010 - no rating submitted

Steve C left this review about The Atlas

This place looks like a good old fashioned boozer from the outside, but as you walk through the doors your heart sinks as you realise that you have entered a gastro pub. Thankfully I think that this is better than most gastro pubs as you are made to feel welcome by the polite staff, even if you are not dining.

There is some outside seating running up the side of the pub that was a pleasant area to have a couple of beers.

Pride, Deuchars and Meantime Pale Ale were available alongside a standard and premium lager selection.

I'd rather drink in a pub that has awards for beer rather than food, but this place is well worthy of a visit if in the area.

On 28th September 2009 - rating: 7

Graham Coombs left this review about The Atlas

Gone a bit gastro-pubby, with "mediterranean" food, but still retains old back-street boozer charm and keeps an interesting guest ale or two amongst an impressive wine list. Quite close to Earls Court exhibition centre.

On 11th March 2009 - rating: 8