Wetherspoon's news of the day with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

B2 4BA

Page: 1 2 3

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Thuck Phat left this review about Post Office Vaults

Inevitably well reviewed and it was busy on our early Saturday evening visit with seating at a premium and a queue at the bar. With good reason.
Beers on were: Thornbridge Wild Raven, Oakham Heights of Oblivion, Dr Mortons Clown Poison, Pershore Man in a Hat, Kinver First Class Stamp, Rudgate Jorvik and Hobsons Dark Nutty Mild.
Quite a range and all in good shape that we went for.
A city centre staple, close to New Street and to be included on any Birmingham crawl.

On 15th May 2019 - rating: 8

Rob Hunter left this review about Post Office Vaults

As previous reviewers have noted, this place can be a bit tricky to find. It seems to have two entrances and at the time of my visit earlier this week the more obvious entrance was near a load of roadworks. Round to the other side, the less obvious entrance is on the pedestrianised street next to Greggs.

At the bar were eight pumps, seven of which were on when I visited. I had New Ground by Saltaire, a 4.6% coffee porter which I really enjoyed and did well to stand up against the 7.3% stout I had just had at the Wellington.

I didn't make a note of the other ales on offer but did notice they seem to do a load of draught ciders too.

No music, a nice atmosphere with a few people in before 3pm midweek. Tankards and pint pots are hung up behind the bar. The floor is bare wood and there are basic tables and chairs. The bar billiards table deserves a mention as this is the first time I have ever seen one, and my initial thought was that it looked like a pool table with random holes in making it look like a whack-a-mole. Well you certainly learn something new every day!

It's a decent friendly place with good beer, and I would be happy to return.

On 28th February 2019 - rating: 8

Moby Duck left this review about Post Office Vaults

A below ground pub with a tiny entrance , conspicuous only by its bright red door. once down the stairs you are into a single long room with plenty of seating along the walls. As mentioned below there is a bar billiards table tucked into a corner, unplayed during my visit. Also of note was the vast range of bottled beer available listed in the "beer bible's left scattered around on the drinking tables.A good selection of cask ale is also available on handpump, the most interesting range on my Birmingham Visit, I had Rat White Rat and it was a decent drop. I would say a must visit whilst in Brum.

On 8th October 2017 - rating: 8

Malden man left this review about Post Office Vaults

Handily located for the station, this made for a decent last drink before my train home. Down a few stairs to a kind of semi-basement room with a boarded floor, hops running along the ceiling beams and a picture rail height shelf has literally scores of beer bottles on display. A free to play bar billiards table is located in a rear corner while decor includes mainly Belgian and German beer paraphernalia. A blocked up fireplace has a drinking ledge in front of it.
Beer "bibles" on the tables list the extensive range of bottles on offer while on the bar there were a range of eight completely eclectic beers, several of which I had never heard of. I went for Kelham Island Riders of the Storm. There are also twelve proper ciders, all listed on a board.
There was a bit of a damp musty smell that you can get in these subterranean places but that did not distract from what is a cracking little pub.

On 19th April 2017 - rating: 8

Ian Mapp left this review about Post Office Vaults

This takes some finding. I thought I knew BRM pretty well, but I've never noticed this pub. A good look on Google Street View revealed its hiding place.

More ciders than ales but a serious drinking den. Worth seeking out.

Visit blogged at http://bit.ly/2id5KV

On 24th December 2016 - rating: 8

Black Country Mike from Chesterfield left this review about Post Office Vaults

Not mentioned in the previous reviews is the fact that on the tables is a rather impressive Belgian beer menu, including the limited edition dry hopped Duvel (£9 a bottle, mind you!)

On 30th May 2016 - no rating submitted

Oggwyn Great left this review about Post Office Vaults

As pointed out in previous reviews a slightly ackward to find cellar bar , to me it had a slight 70s feel to the decor , plenty of beer available and the staff were friendly and knowlegable , my pint of Froth Blowers Midland Red was spot on .
A note for any ladies drinking here , you need a code to gain access to the toilets .

On 8th May 2016 - no rating submitted

Aqualung . left this review about Post Office Vaults

This is a cellar bar which it has been suggested is under the same ownership as the Wellington nearby. I rather doubt this as the Wellington is a Black Country Ales house that sells at least three of their beers whereas this place is not listed on their site and didn't have any of their beers on when I visited.
It came as a relief to visit here after the Briar Rose which was rammed with raucous students and other assorted idiots. On a Saturday evening this place was busy but not impossibly so. It was too busy to note all the beers but I did see Salopian, Hobson's and XT represented. I went for a RAT beer called Rat In The Kitchen (£3.40) which was a superb last pint of the day before getting the train back to London.
The Wellington is bigger and has more beers but I thought this place was almost as good.

On 15th October 2015 - rating: 8

Al Bundy left this review about Post Office Vaults

I liked this place. A quite decent selection of beers and as others have said easy to miss.

On 23rd September 2015 - rating: 7

hondo . left this review about Post Office Vaults

Cellar bar with 2 entrances. 8 real ales.

On 29th July 2015 - no rating submitted