Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

OL12 0NU

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 9 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve C left this review about The Baum

I visited the much-lauded Baum on a recent Monday evening when there were a handful of other customers. To the left is a curved bar that supports eight hand pumps (6x cask ale and 2 x real cider) and a premium keg range. The multitude of pump clips on the walls inform those not in the know that this is a destination real ale pub. Seating is found in the right hand-side and in the left is a raised seating area at the front and a raised conservatory area at the rear. Through the conservatory access can be gained to a well-kept walled beer garden at the rear. A small speaker in the garden was playing background music that was also in the pub. The only television screen I saw was showing a list of the available beers. I hadn’t heard of any of them, which is normally a good sign. Pub grub is available, I had the Baum burger which was very tasty and reasonably priced at £10.95.
I found the service to be very friendly and I am pleased to say that this was my favourite of the fourteen pubs I visited during my crawl of Rochdale.

On 4th September 2019 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Baum

This pub is definitely right back up there. We found the pub to have a good atmosphere, with lots of like minded people enjoying a proper pub night out. The beer quality was excellent, along with their good choices of hand pumped beers, six in all, along with two ciders. The Northern Monk Don't Mess with Yorkshire Ale was a big hit on this visit. Also a big thanks to Rob for meeting up with us and leading us here from the centre of town. Cheers Rob.

On 30th July 2019 - rating: 9

ROB Camra left this review about The Baum

Now taken over by the team that have the Flying Horse in the town centre. A long way to go, but it's definitely on its way back up again.

On 2nd March 2019 - rating: 8

Alan Hurdle left this review about The Baum

I have been to Pubs of the Year before. My local was crowned 2011 POTY. So I knew what to expect! Decent beer, friendly staff. Probably a good score of 8.
As soon as I walked through the door and looked round my score went up to 9. When asked if I had a Camra card without me asking (or remembering!) it went up to 9.5.
When I tasted my pint of Slightly Foxed Flower Fox, my score went up to 10.5! The problem is - the beer vanishes too fast, so I cut it back to 10.
Landlord gone, so rating removed.

On 14th February 2019 - no rating submitted

ROB Camra left this review about The Baum

I'm sorry to report that The Baum suffered a hostile takeover by Simon's ex wife on Monday.

Not only will I not be ordering beer anymore I don't have a local either.

RIP The Baum. It will never be the same again.

On 21st April 2018 - rating: 1

Komakino . left this review about The Baum

A visit as part of my aim to visit all 16 Camra 2017 POTY nominees, it's a corker and described quite nicely by previous visitors below. Three ales of varying styles sampled - Roosters Scrambler, Seven Bro7hers Stout and Kirkstall Reverence - and all in superb shape. Friendly staff and locals, intimate decor and an unprompted request for my Camra card (the latter a first for me) means this ticks so many boxes. I don't give many 9s out, but this pub fully deserves it.

On 7th February 2018 - rating: 9

ROB Camra left this review about The Baum

The Baum has just won the Greater Manchester Pub Of The Year for 2016. This makes it three times in five years.

It will now compete against the other fifteen regional winners for a place in the last four.

07/06/2014
The Baum has been voted Greater Manchester POTY for 2013, but didn't make the final 4 this time.

14/02/2013
The Baum has won the CAMRA National Pub Of The Year 2012, not 2013 as stated below. Please don't try and visit on a Friday or Saturday. It's only a small pub and it's been rammed the last three weekends, you may not even be able to get through the door. If you've travelled some distance to get to the pub that would be a pain. If you're thinking of eating, please book a table well in advance or I'm afraid you won't get one otherwise.

28/11/2012

The Baum has now made the last 4 in CAMRA's National Pub Of The Year 2012. The winner will be announced in February.

23/09/2012

The Baum has now won CAMRA Greater Manchester Pub Of The Year 2012 and will go forwards into the national finals against the 15 other regional winners.

09/02/2012

Update - The Baum has now won the Rochdale, Oldham & Bury overall Pub Of The Year and will now go forwards into the area finals.

09/01/2012
The Baum has just won the Rochdale, Oldham & Bury CAMRA Rochdale Pub Of The Year award.

There are now 8 handpumps. 7 serving ever changing guest ales plus one with a changing real cider.

On 9th October 2016 - rating: 10

Al Bundy left this review about The Baum

A cracker of a pub. Descriptions are elsewhere but this is a must if you're in Rochdale. Highly recommended.

On 13th August 2015 - rating: 10

Thuck Phat left this review about The Baum

There isn't a huge amount which can be added to the existing reviews here or from CAMRA given The Baum's former Pub of The Year status.
I was staggered to learn from ROB Camra, the font of all Baum knowledge, that the pub only became a pub in the '80's having previously been a hardware store. It feels like a proper pub which has been here forever which is testament to the thought which went into the pub in the first place. It's a very comfortable place to be with friendly and efficient staff, relaxed and chatty locals and the odd celebrity fitting right in without any fuss.
Mr. F lists the beers which were available on our visit and both the Silver Street Wild Flower and Green Mill Delta Star IPA were excellent ales in very good nick. The pricing policy is interesting with everything, no matter the strength, being priced at £3.00 on the basis that it all evens out in the end and makes life much easier all round. There's also a 40p discount per pint for CAMRA members which is offered by the staff rather than you having to ask. I think I remember those numbers correctly but it certainly makes the quality ale look exceptional value.
I really liked The Baum and it fully deserves it's awards. A great pub and a real ale oasis.

On 22nd July 2014 - rating: 9

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Baum

What more can be said about this award winning pub? My overriding impression was the way a real pub atmosphere has been retained,the barmaids were helpful and charming,service was spot on,and regulars are a friendly bunch always up for a chat.You could even watch World Cup football being screened discretely without this ruining the atmosphere for others in the wide clientele base who come in here for other things.It's been lovingly converted from a hardware store over the last 30 years but appears to have been a pub for ever.Numerous features of interest abound,I particularly liked the enamel cigatette adverts and the impressive rear courtyard and garden beyond the conservatory,there is a boules league in operation in the area and the Baum has a team.
I was lucky enough to get a guided tour from ROB Camra to the first floor rooms which are available for private hire.The committee room is impressive and there is a small serving bar up there,it all beautifully wood clad.
The pub prides itself on local food ingredient sourcing,and although we didn't have a meal even the crisps and pork scratching have been carefully selected for quality and sourced from the area.
Walking around the bar ,I think I spotted 8 handpumps with two drawing from the Marston's portfolio as part of a supply agreement,Ringwood Old Thumper and Marstons Charge on my visit.Phoenix Spotland seems a regular given the Rochdale FC connection leaving 5 rotating guests including Black Hole Apollo,Green Mill Delta Star IPA,Silver Street Brewing Wild Flower and Bootleg Brewing Metro Pirate on my trip.The guests are drawn from many local micros and the Meet to Brewer evenings attest to the commitment to seeking out intersting ale.I also spotted a perry on handpump.Beer quality was top notch.
I have only scratched the surface,this is a Rochdale institution and if I lived locally,this would be my local.You just have to visit.

On 18th July 2014 - rating: 10