Pub Snacks with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

E10
E11 4EL

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Northcote

There were four ales on in here - the ELB pair of Cowcatcher and Foundation, plus Five Points XPA and Signature Brew Roadie. I had the Foundation which was in great shape, and my companions had other ales about which they raised no complaints. The 15% CAMRA discount brought the price of a pint down to less than £3.50, which is good going for London. I saw a menu advertising something called "Burger Bills", and at £3 or so for a burger I would hazard a guess that they may be more like sliders than burgers at that price, but we didn't partake so can't say for sure.

The interior still contains many original features, although quite a few changes have been made since its days of Victorian glory. The old public bar is on the left, has modern replacement boards, and with an original screen separating it from the old saloon bar on the right. This screen is mainly matchboard panelled, has a doorway (but no door now) with three glazed panels above featuring the Victorian favourite of small birds at their centre. There is also a delightful small baffle on the bar counter side of the screen with four small glazed panels featuring floral designs and a small bird.

Original stained glass panels survive in the upper protions of many of the outer windows; these have mainly floral-themed small panels, again with small birds in the central roundels. The bar counter also looks to be original, but like almost everything else in here is painted either light grey or lavender. There is a further room at the back on the right, reached via the saloon bar through a large wood-framed archway. This in turn leads to another small room that seems to be used as a children's play area - it was in noisy use during our visit and I would speculate is an area best avoided.

We liked this pub a lot. Good real ale at very competetive prices (especially if a CAMRA member) goes a long way to making this a destination pub. I'm not surprised it's in the GBG. I'm sure to visit here again sometime.

On 13th April 2018 - rating: 7

Aqualung . left this review about The Northcote

This one was a three bar Charrington house back in the day as can still be identified from the current set up. I did see a TV in the old public bar area where I parked myself on a Saturday afternoon but it was mercifully switched off and there was no sign of any pool table or darts.
They seem to have retained the old Charrington windows along the old public bar area which has a wooden floor and is served by the lower end of the large island bar. On the right is the carpeted old saloon bar area and at the far end of this the third bar area.
The public bar area has the four hand pumps which had Crate Red, ELB Foundation Bitter & Three Kings and Signature Extra Pale.
I went for the Crate Red which despite a very slight haze tasted fine. At £3.95 it didn't strike me as being anything remotely like a bargain.
I must have been to this one as a Bass Charrington outlet but it was so long ago I don't remember it at all. I'm sure it's better in the current incarnation and it's GBG 2018 listed.

On 24th December 2017 - rating: 6

Komakino . left this review about The Northcote

Changed a bit since Steve's 2009 review, embracing diversity in the area and offering weekly Drag Cabaret, Closet Vinyl, East End Piano Sing-a-longs and Music Quiz. Four ales, all local, comprising Five Points XPA (unfined, but great and was a bargain - for these parts - £3.90), Signature Pale, Craft Golden and Craft Amber. The decor is a little haphazard, but has retained most of the finer points of the original pub's interior, and a Ceiledh band was warming up during my visit. It's trying hard to please everyone which is always a losing battle, but they get a laurel and hardy handshake from me on the real ale front.

On 1st November 2017 - rating: 7

Steve C left this review about The Northcote

This is a decent enough pub with two separate bars which both have screens for different sports which can show different things at the same time. Whilst I was there the tennis was being watched by a few people that were playing pool in the public bar and there was some Irish sport being shown in the front of the main bar and a rugby game was on at the rear. There is also a small room at the back of the pub that seemed to be a quiet haven from the TVs.

There is a small beer garden out the back that is split into two sections, one of which was holding a BBQ that didn't smell too great. There is also a large outhouse that had lots of pushchairs and walkers in it; I'm not sure what that is all about.

I would use this pub if I lived locally, but I wouldn't travel out of my way again.

On 13th July 2009 - rating: 7