Random news of the day with trainman on the Pub Forum

Mc & Sons, Southwark, SE1

160 Union Street
SE1
SE1 0LH
Phone: 02074013744

Page: 1 2

I L left this review about The Charles Dickens

Very good backstreet Pub with a traditional exterior but a more modern mainly timber clad interior. A good range of ales on which included Adnams Spiced Winter and a couple of Nethergate ales, the ones we had were we
L kept. Have heard this pub can get very busy but it was very quiet late on a Tuesday evening but the snow may have put people off visiting this place.

On 1st December 2010 - rating: 8

Chris 87 left this review about The Charles Dickens

This pub was virtually empty when my mates and I arrived on a saturday afternoon. And more's the pity, because we absolutely loved it. Six ale pumps, all on, all serving a variety of beers we'd never come across - Hogs Back Spring Ale, Nethergate Charles Dickens (I assume brewed for the pub), Wentworth Best, Brodie's English Best, Elgood Feelgood Factor and West Berkshire Dr Hexter's Wedding Ale. My pint of Feelgood factor was very nice and the barmaid was very accomodating, letting one of my mates have a taster to help him decide. A strong contender for the title of 'Best pub in SE1'

On 29th March 2009 - rating: 8

Steve C left this review about The Charles Dickens

I think that I spotted six ale pumps in here, but only two were on during my visit. Amstel, San Miguel, Kronenburg, Grolsch, Aspells, Strongbow and Guinness were also available and the Fosters was off. I found the barmaid to be very dismissive and she certainly didn't make me feel welcome in any way.

There are a couple of plasma screens which were showing Sky News, which I have to say was muted although none of us five people in the pub were watching it anyway.

I am not sure that I would return here.

On 16th January 2009 - rating: 5

Rex Rattus left this review about The Charles Dickens

I think I like this pub more with each visit, which is a very good sign indeed. I was in there for lunch the other day, washed down with a pint of superb Itchen Valley Winchester Ale. Several other decent real ales on offer as well (as always), but now all at £2.90 a pint. Food was OK for the price. Worth going there for the ales alone.

On 2nd April 2008 - rating: 7

Malden man left this review about The Charles Dickens

A great find in the South Bank hinterland not far from the Tate Modern and that pedestrian bridge across the river. Fairly quiet and chilled in the afternoon, timber wainscoted walls, wooden floors and settles. The Charles Dickens theme is maintained by prints of a series of Dickens characters on the walls. L shaped centre bar, with the same shaped room to the front and a rear area with two large rooflights set up seemingly for food with a servery counter. The food smell however from the servery permeates the pub. Two large TVs showing Sky Sports on one and Ch4 racing on the other, both muted.

Six good ales available on handpump, all priced at a fair £2-85. Ranging from 3.0 to 4.5 there were Harveys Dark Mild, Slaters Original, Cottage Whippet Gold Cup, Mighty Oak In Seine, and St Patricks Stout, and Highgate Irish Whiskey Ale. Those tasted were in very good condition, the friendly Irish Guv seems to appreciate decent ale.

The blackboard over the bar displays well priced honest pub food such as ham egg and chips £5-95, Steak, onions, chips, mushrooms, tomatoes £8-95 and Lasagne with chips for £6-95.

A good find and worthy of many a revisit.

On 15th March 2008 - rating: 7

Quinno _ left this review about The Charles Dickens

Down an unremarkable side street, this is a spacious but murky pub saved from obscurity by the six handpulls on offer. Two permanent ales (the Adnams Bitter & Harveys Sussex, though not sure what’s the point of having Harveys on when the Royal Oak is up the road, but still) plus four guests, competitively priced. He interior isn’t up to much – fairly drab with just a few Dickens prints on the wall and a couple of TVs. Friendly staff though, and Daddies sauces with the food which always gets marks in my book. Will return, worth including in an area crawl.

On 13th December 2006 - rating: 7