Lockdown 2 with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

M33 2AA

Pub Type

Greene King

Rob Hunter left this review about Kings Ransom

Visited while in Sale yesterday. I was the only customer in at 11:45 but a few more appeared shortly before 12. This is a Greene King pub so despite having 8 hand pulls there isn't always anything to get excited about, or so was my experience on my last visit a couple of years ago. Thanfully yesterday was better, with two of the pumps off and the remainder offering Greene King IPA, Old SPeckled Hen, Wily Fox Karma Citra, Rosie's Pig Cider, Weetwood Cheshire Cat and something suspiciously labelled as Ransom's Bitter which the cynical side of me would assume to be some slop by Greene King re-badged.

There are also a few taps on the back wall where I spotted Brewdog Punk IPA and Estrella, plus something else I couldn't make out. In addition to this there was the usual type keggy stuff on a font.

The pub has a nice smart interior and has definitely improved since my last visit when I recall it looking a bit run down with holes ripped in the seating and tables left full of empty glasses (and that was by no means at peak time). It is quite a big sprawling pub with different sections, and indeed different levels if you are coming in from the street level entrance.

Not bad at all for a Greene King place. I might be being over generous but it's an 8/10 from me. My Karma Citra was very pleasant and £1.80 for a half. The guest ales save this place on the beer front.

On 11th October 2018 - rating: 8

Alan Winfield left this review about Kings Ransom

The Kings Ransom is a fairly new pub that was built by Kimberley brewery in the early 2000s,the pub has a pleasant location next to the bridgewater canal and it is quite close to sale train station and the centre of town.
Once inside there are lots of different drinking areas and there is also a dining area but people can dine anywhere in the pub,the pub was quite smart but it is not really a pub to go to just for a drink, but as a drinker i was made just as welcome.
There were three real ales on the bar i had a drink of Kimberley bitter and this was a very nice drink the other beers were Kimberley mild and a seasonal from Kimberley called Rocking Rudolph.
This pub is now run by Greene King.

Pub visited 30/12/2004