2019 AUTUMN PUG Crawl with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

W2 1HL
Phone: 02077231026

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Quinno _ left this review about The Sussex Arms

A pretty unappealing exterior akin to an Ayia Napa coke bar conceals a fair interior which is a square room with a teeny little side offshoot. What I assume to be the old knobbly square ceiling decor has been retained and painted to stand out. There are banks of modern etched mirrors either side of the room with a television showing athletics in the middle. Large hanging lights along with gold and green embossed wallpaper make for a surprisingly pleasing ambience. Three ales on - Pride, Portabello Star and Black Sheep which all came through sparklers. My half of Black Sheep set me back a barely credible £2.60 but was in fair shape. Entered this one with low expectations so in that sense, I was fairly happy. Too expensive for me to be making a return journey though.

On 10th October 2017 - rating: 5

Old Boots left this review about The Sussex Arms

One room in the modern style in spite of iron columns, some tongue and groove, a knobbly ceiling and cut glass mirrors still surviving here. Three pumps of better than average beer although I baulked at £5 a pint for London Pride. There are three big screens in quite a small space, showing music although European championship games were advertised. The staff weren't bad, especially for London and there was some table service, at those prices I should hope so.

On 12th June 2016 - no rating submitted
[User has posted 1995 recommendations about 1870 pubs]

Rex Rattus left this review about The Sussex Arms

They had on London Pride, St Austell Tribute and Upham Brewery Punter (£2 a half, and a new one on me). There were no menus in sight when I was at around midday on Friday.

This is a fairly smallish pub, with the main bar having the bar counter on the back wall, and with a few tables and chairs in another small room to the the left and rear of the servery. The main feature in this pub is the wood panelled ceiling, complete with small bosses that look a bit like light fittings. This feature is most unusual, and probably even unique in London. The place is bare-boarded with mainly normal tables and chairs, but with a half dozen or so large dark red armchairs – but no tall tables/tall stools! A handful of fairly meaningless prints decorate the walls, which are in fact dominated by the three TV screens tuned to some channel called “MTV”. There are a few seats outside at the front.

I didn’t particularly enjoy my brief visit here, mainly because of the strong smell of cleaning products, and I didn’t much care for the “50 funk pop classic anthems” being shown on MTV and being churned out over the sound system. Perhaps others welcome this “music”, but I suspect it was being played for the benefit of the bar staff. The unusual ceiling was definitely the most memorable thing about my visit to this pub. It’s not one I’m likely to return to, although it does apparently have Cask Marque accreditation. But there’s nothing really wrong with it, and at another time it might be more comfortable and relaxing. It’s open from 10.00 AM to 11.00 PM every day, which is a plus.

On 7th December 2013 - rating: 5