Disappointment of the week with hondo on the Pub Forum

E1 5RN
Phone: 02073776415

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 4 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Carpenters Arms

This looks like a 60s estate pub, and it doesn’t look as if much has been done to the interior since then. It still has the iron-framed round tables, green upholstered banquettes round the sides, some standard spindle-framed chairs and small round stools. It’s all very 70s kitsch. The walls still have some basic fielded panelling, now painted a cream colour. There’s no decor on the walls, but of course there’s the obligatory fruit machines and naturally a TV on showing the racing.

Obviously there’s no real ale available – they (somewhat predictably) did have John Smith keg on, as well as Webster’s Green Label keg. Now that’s a blast from the past. I’ve no idea who brews it, but I can say that it hasn’t improved with time. I didn’t see any sign of food or menus when I visited on Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, this pub is worth a look if you fancy a walk down memory lane to see a 60s/70s locals’ pub throwback, but I can’t think of another reason why I would want to visit again.

On 23rd May 2013 - rating: 4