New pub visits 2022 with ETA on the Pub Forum

Phone: 01904466674

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Oggwyn Great left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

Pub is well described in previous reviews , busy with a mixture of tourists and locals on my Thursday night visit , 5 handpulls with TT Landlord , Rudgate Chocolate , Saltaire Blonde and a decent Ossett Yorkshire Blonde .

On 27th September 2019 - no rating submitted

Alex Conway left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

what a huge shame!!

There is pricing yourself high for the tourists as many York pubs do but this place is taking the absolute mickey, i shall not be returning! At £4.10 for a pint of Timothy Taylor Boltmaker this place is the most expensive pint of regular ale in York bar none, an absolute joke, needless to say the Thatchers cider was £4.30, this is criminal. This is a crying shame as their selection is very good and the building has a great atmosphere with nice seating in the back which is candle lit. I will not be returning and highly recommend others don't as voting with your feet is the only way to tackle these things or before youknow it every pub in york will think this is reasonable, highly not impressed!!!

On 6th December 2015 - rating: 4

Steve C left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

The Guy Fawkes was very busy with tourists during my recent Saturday afternoon visit. The interior consists of a bar area to the left of the entrance and a seating area to the right where punters are overlooked by a big knight. At the rear is some more seating where I managed to find some space to escape the cackling and barging of a drunken hen party. There was some background music playing and I noted that there are no televisions.

The bar is stocked with premium draught and six hand pumps were drawing cask ale. Apparently Guy Fawkes was born here in 1570, hence the name of the pub and the fact that the food (around a £12 average for a main) all has Guy Fawkes related monikers.

This is a historic pub, but it was too busy to properly enjoy. I imagine that the nature of the beast changes during the week so if I find myself in the area at a quieter time I will pop back in for a better nose around.

On 19th April 2015 - rating: 6

hondo . left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

Bar and restaurant with accommodation available. 6 real ales. Live music advertised

On 18th May 2013 - no rating submitted

ROB Camra left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

Called in again to find only 3 real ales on the bar and a very bad smell in the front room. I had a decent pint of Rudgate Xmas Stout and we went to sit away from the smell. At 5:15 someone came round the room we were in and put reserved signs on all the tables. They don't even start serving food until 6. You never know what it's going to be like in here, it's very inconsistent in beer selection, quality and service. I think we'll give it a miss for a while now.

12/04/2011
This pub is one of our regular haunts in York. The pub has been well described by other reviewers, so I won't bother. We often call in for one when visiting the Lamb & Lion, Wonky Donkey etc. There's a good selection of real ales on the bar, but some of then are sometimes indifferently kept. It's not one of our must visit pubs in York because of this. It's also probably why it isn't in the GBG2011.

On 18th January 2013 - rating: 5

Thuck Phat left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

The Guy Fawkes is a stunning 16th century building, apparently the birthplace of Guy Fawkes although evidence seems to be lacking. It's incredibly well located next to York Minster and the main centre of the city but in a relatively quiet part of High Petergate. The hotel rooms are accessed via a very uneven staircase, which probably demands a pint or two to climb efficiently, and are characterful and well furnished.
To the right are two rooms used mainly for eating and the front door leads directly into a cosy, welcoming, wood panelled bar. The staff are friendly and chatty and the bar is a very nice place to be.
We had a snack here and my pigeon and celery pate was excellent and despite being a starter served well as a light lunch.
Six handpumps feature predominantly local ales which do rotate: Black Sheep, Great Heck Yorkshire Pale Ale and Dark Force Treason (brewed for the pub), Copper Dragon Scotts 1816, Rudgate Battle Axe and Marston Moor Matchlock Mild were on when we visited. Both the Great Heck beers were excellent and in top nick.
Given the range and quality of ales I'm not sure why it didn't make the 2011 GBG, maybe an there's just too much choice in York.
I will certainly return.

On 11th April 2011 - rating: 10

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

A fabulous 16th century inn, with ornate ceilings, wood paneling, old floor boards and real gas lamps. Called in here lunch time, food was excellent, home cooked steak pie hand cut chips. Staff very friendly, also has accommodation four poster beds and all that. Could have done with a lie down after my meal, good size portions for the price. Good choice of beers, I sampled the Hambleton Ales Mighty Mare, Old Mill Brewery Spring Eternal, Leeds Golden Best and Daleside IPA. Defo will return.

On 19th March 2011 - rating: 9

Soup Dragon left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

A pub/eatery and hotel, terraced, and in undressed brick with rear patio. As others have said, it looks like a converted Georgian styled house.

The interior has three rooms. I just went into the main bar, which is the room you enter from the street, however, there is a dining area off to the right and another room at the back. They all seemed to be in dark brown and wood panel, with wood floor and have some wood carvings. There is a mix of settles, bar stools and wood chairs, some also carved and a couple of nice stone fireplaces in the various rooms. There are also some nice prints on the walls. We didn't eat here, so can't comment on the food, but the service was fine and the place was packed with a mix clientele - well i think it was - it is a bit gloomy!

Beer; tap stuff with Leffe and Staropramen, with Rudgate Battleaxe, York Terrier, Black Sheep Copper Dragon Black Gold and a decent Leeds Midnight Bell on handpull.

We did this pub a few years back when i did most of York pubs - this came out as one of the best, so i will always pop in here when visiting. I now pack a torch.

On 14th September 2010 - no rating submitted

Gill Smith left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

Although not in the 2010 Good Beer Guide, we stumbled on this pub a couple of years ago during a beer festival, and have visited each time we are in York since then. Multi roomed town house style building dim inside with some gas lighting and candles. Decent range of beers. Enjoyed Hambleton Horsing Around and Great Heck Staggering Genius.

On 2nd September 2010 - rating: 7

Alan Winfield left this review about The Guy Fawkes Hotel

This pub is very close to the minster and it was very busy early saturday dinner.
I was surprised to see this pub as it is'nt in my newish York guide (2007),there were 8 handpumps that i could see and these were mostly micro brewery beers we had a drink of Roosters YPA and this was a very nice drink i also saw Landlord,Daleside Old Legover,Ossett Excelsior and Woodfordes Wherry which i thought was a great choice of beers.
On the down side i thought the pub was too dark inside and there was something that i did'nt like about this place but i car'nt put my finger on it yet.

On 28th August 2010 - rating: 6