Beer of the Week (w/e 20th September 2020) with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

W1
W1J 7HR
Phone: 02074910910

Pub Type

Castle (Mitchells & Butlers)

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Market Tavern

Initially offputting as all tables are laid for dining with short menus everywhere,but when I enquired if just drinking is OK I was told to sit anywhere.There were a couple of bar stools and a shelf near the side entrance if you don't want to risk sitting in close proximity to diners.
The interior is basically square,mostly stripped out although there is a small raised section to one side.
Food mains start at £12,but looked interesting.
There are 4 handpumps with a decent range on my trip namely St Austell Proper Job,Tiny Rebel Cwtch,Thornbridge Hacksaw (unfined ,decent) and the ubiquitous Doom Bar.
There are so many GK pubs in the area that this more interesting ale line up would tempt me back.

On 8th March 2019 - rating: 7
[User has posted 2068 recommendations about 2068 pubs]

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Market Tavern

We called in around 5pm on a Sunday, where we found every table occupied, with customers ploughing their way through large roast dinners, so instead of standing at the bar like lemons, we took our drinks upstairs to the Chesterfield room. The lounge upstairs was traditional in style in spite of the loud contemporary wallpaper. We went for the W+E Knights of the Garter, which was in fine shape.

On 12th February 2015 - rating: 7

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Market Tavern

Formerly an O'Neills, this is now a rather more interesting unbranded M&B (Castle) pub and can be found on the south side of Shepherd Market. The staple-shaped bar is rather compact, with limited space for furniture and hence most of the customers are to be found standing (both inside and out). There is also another small seating area up a step to one side and the Chesterfield Room upstairs (never visited). Restrained upmarket decor. Down from five to four handpumps since my previous visit three years ago, offering Doom Bar, Pride, Windsor & Eton Knights of the Garter and Wild Beer Scarlet Fever (£4.55). Also has a reasonable selection of craft beers and imported lagers. Always very busy in my experience, despite the prices.

On 17th November 2014 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about The Market Tavern

They had on several ales when I visited Thursday afternoon – Urban Dusk, Doom Bar, and Windsor & Eton Knight of the Garter (£1.95 a half), but I couldn’t get close enough to the bar to identify the Christams ale on the fourth pump. This is a gastropub – the cheapest main course was £10.75, for “wild salmon fishcakes, lemon and chive crème fraiche and baby gem and beetroot salad”.

The pubs in shepherd’s market must be virtual gold mines as they always seem to be heaving with drinkers whatever time you visit. This one had numerous groups of vertical drinkers at mid-afternoon, perhaps enjoying an early finish for Christmas. But I managed to get one of the little tables for two in the tiny room at the back on the left which isolated me to some extent from the mayhem in the main bar area. But the pub itself isn’t bad, and was probably a backstreet boozer in times past. The furnishings seem to be exclusively normal tables and chairs, and wall decor is miscellaneous prints. Being a gastropub there are no fruit machines or others of their ilk (which is a big plus in my book), and I didn’t even see a TV.

But this is a gastropub and is probably primarily intended for diners. You always seem to get the smell of fish in these places; possibly this serves to remind those who are only drinking what they are missing out on. But my Knight of the Garter was top notch and not overly expensive for this part of the world, and I would visit again if I could visit at a time when I would have a good chance of bagging a seat.

On 21st December 2013 - rating: 7