Wetherspoon's news of the day with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

Stockport
SK4 1HJ

Page: 1 2

Gill Smith left this review about The Magnet

Another excellent pub that we unfortunately visited towards the end of a massive pub crawl of the area meaning we were unable to take advantage of the 12 cask and 14 tap beers on offer. Noted to try and get back up here at the end of May as I believe there is a local beer festival but an opportunity to do this pub justice. We did however enjoy the Track Sonoma beer, but will be back.

On 20th January 2019 - rating: 8

Rob Hunter left this review about The Magnet

I had been looking forward to visiting this pub for a while, and Saturday evening did not disappoint. More real ale and keg than you can shake the proverbial stick at. Like the Hope Inn, if you weren't on a crawl, you could easily spend an evening in here and not drink the same beer twice. An electronic beer board lists everything on offer, which is very useful as due to the number of beers available it would be hard to take them all in otherwise (especially as the pumps seemed to be split between the rooms). I had a New York Cheesecake by Box Social Brewing (on cask), which was pretty good, not sure I could taste cheesecake as such but there was some subtle lemon/lime flavour coming through. I then tried the Orange Mocha Frapp Stout on keg, by Tiny Rebel, a 7% stout which tasted its strength, though the orange was not overpowering. My drinking buddy had a Faithless 81 by Redwillow, a pale ale which I found to be excellent. The pub was rather busy on Saturday evening but a table soon became free so we weren't left standing in the way of the bar for long. Definitely one to visit - I had wanted to for a while and it did not disappoint!

On 3rd April 2018 - rating: 9

Pub SignMan left this review about The Magnet

This is a cracking multi-roomed freehouse in the Heaton Norris end of town, with an excellent ale policy and its own on-site brewery. The left hand side of the pub takes you into the Vault which is a fairly compact room with the bar down one side and some very pleasant fixed bench seating opposite. It’s an intimate space that has been nicely decorated to give it a very warm feel and is exactly the sort of room I could imagine settling down in for a few pints. Beyond there is a small games room, dominated by a pool table, but with a couple of dartboards on the wall as well. Passing behind the pump clip lined servery, you emerge into a tangled warren of rooms, mostly carpeted, offering a mix of seating options as well as a fair bit of standing room. Two of these areas have a similar feel to them, although one has a small servery in the back corner, whilst the third is located up a short flight of stairs, past some book shelves with a few board games on them, in a cosy looking back room with a lounge feel to it. Decor includes plenty of framed pump clips and the gents toilets were a real talking point with their wall covered in 70’s LP covers. There is also a sizable garden with the usual smoker’s shelter and garden furniture – it’s worth talking a quick peek out here to get a grand view of the Stockport viaduct which runs behind the pub.
There was an extensive ale range on when we visited early on a Friday evening, with handpulls in the Vault dispensing Tiny Rebel Hank, Track Sonoma, Beartown Ginger Bear, Dorking Pilcrow Pale, Salopian Oracle, Thornbridge Guthrie, Wycliffe & Duke XB1, Wild Beer Cottage Industry, Wildside Cyro Cascade and Lincoln American Brown. There may well have been further options in the other bar, but I didn’t get round to checking. Suffice to say, the beer quality was excellent, as befits a pub that has racked up a fair few CAMRA awards over the years.
I really liked this place and it was a shame that once again the crawl dictated we move on rather than explore the place a little further. There seems to be a lot going on here which would no doubt reward repeat visits and if the quality can be maintained across so many hand pumps, then you will pretty much always be guaranteed to find something of interest at the bar.

On 8th January 2018 - rating: 8

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Magnet

Traditional freehouse, but with a much better than average selection of up to 14 real ales and a cider on handpump, plus a decent range of craft beers on the keg taps. I went for the Common Grounds porter (£1.65, half) but could have gone for almost anything... Apart from the beer, this pub retains two bars, several side rooms and a pool room located down a few steps at the back. Unfortunately, just a flying visit on this occasion, but certainly one to come back to next time in the area.

On 2nd December 2017 - rating: 8

Quinno _ left this review about The Magnet

One of Stockport’s nationally-known pubs, I was really looking forward to doing this one and it did not disappoint. Brilliantly confusing ‘tangled warren’ of rooms, with different beer seemingly available in every one. Notes of layout restricted to ‘Front bar with breweriana and lino. Rear areas have arches and artex. Big screen with beers and tasting notes. Room upstairs. Pool and darts in a sunken room. Packed-out. Brilliant’. Having had a few by this stage, I may have been lacking a little sharpness but this place really did feel like something from Alice in Wonderland. I ended-up (fortunately) with Tiny Rebel Hank from the plethora of pumps, which was in great nick. There were also a load of keg options and I discovered the full beery gamut displayed on an electronic board in one of the rear rooms. This really is a super place and I really enjoyed my visit here. It won’t be my last, hopefully – top of the list for next time. 9.5

On 1st December 2017 - rating: 10

Steve of N21 left this review about The Magnet

Yes totally agree a fantastic modern ale house and one that is real fun exploring on a first visit. There are many areas either side of the central serving area. On the far left side as you enter is a lower room from which you can find a secluded separate even lower room with pool table. And then on the right of the bar is at least three other distinct areas separated by arched doorways. And then a staircase leads to an upstairs room with a roaring fire on the go for this chilly Friday early evening. And then from this you can access the upstairs beer terrace. I didn’t see any chalk boards but maybe because they have been replaced by LCD displays which detail the 14 Real Ales and 12 Keg beer options that are available.
Salopian Oracle is a permanent cask and for our visit the other options included Dorking Brewery Pilcrow Pale Ale, Magic rock High Wire and Common Grounds Porter, Titanic Plum Porter Grand Reserve, Beartown Ginger Bear, Wild Beer Cottage Industry, Thornbridge Guthrie, Tiny Rebel Hank, Manchester Brewing Lincoln Square, Wildside Beers Cryo-cascade and Blackedge Black port Porter, a great choice of differing styles. Being a big fan of Ginger I had to try the Ginger Bear and I have to say it was rather good. I won’t detail the Keg offerings except to say I spotted that Beavertown Neck Oil was one of the permanent keg offerings and thought how lucky the good patrons of Stockport are to have a beer from Tottenham permanently available.
All in all one of the best pubs we visited on our crawl around Stockport.

On 22nd November 2017 - rating: 9

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Magnet Inn

Another terrific ale house ,clearly two buildings now knocked together and that produces an interesting interior with lots of nook and crannies.There are two room both with bar access,to the right there is a mid building section and then a higher back lounge through an archway.There is also an upstairs area but this was closed off on my Thursday evening visit.The left room has a longer bar counter and then a lower level pool room,and connects via a rear corridor to the other side of the pub.There is an external beer terrace.The star of the show is from the 15 handpumps,although not all will be operational at the same time.The chalk board described the selection which seems to constantly rotate ,and was too extensive to record on my short crawl visit.My Salopian Velocity was in good nick,as was the pints of my companions.The album covers make for good decoration,as did the wall of hanging mirrors and the pub was one of the busier on our crawl.
Next time I will spend longer in here ,and sample more widely.Not to be missed on any visit to Stockport.

On 26th July 2017 - rating: 8
[User has posted 2087 recommendations about 2087 pubs]

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Magnet Inn

The Magnet opens at 4pm during the week. As it was a nice evening on this visit, we sat out on the roof terrace, which is reached via a steel staircase at the back of the pub. There was also a list of 14 ales on a blackboard, on this visit. We went for the Roosters Buckeye, Peerless Paxtons Perculiar and Hawkshead NZ Pale Ale. A good pub this one and well worth a visit.

On 30th April 2014 - rating: 9

ROB Camra left this review about The Magnet Inn

This was the local area CAMRA Pub Of The Year 2011, not bad for a pub that was a failing keg only pub not that long ago. There are 14 ale handpumps plus a real cider now. It's also home to the Cellar Rat brewery although none of their beers were available on my visit. There's a snug with a pool table down some steps to the left of the bar and more rooms through arches at the rear, although these were reserved for a private party on my Friday afternoon visit. My pint of Ossett Madeline Lily was in very good nick although service was a bit haphazard, but it was very full. It's a friendly, busy & buzzy pub, well worth the short walk out of Stockport centre.

On 17th July 2012 - rating: 8

Will Larter left this review about The Magnet Inn

Apparently in friendly competition with the Railway Ale House and the Crown for the greatest number of handpumps, the Magnet had 14 on the go when I was here recently. The pub is a warren of rooms and has a comfortable feel to it. The walls have rough plaster on them with the usual display of pump clips from days gone by, but this is clearly not a beer exhibition, it's a local, with a friendly atmosphere, good service and no music.

On 15th September 2011 - rating: 8