Yet another list with rpadam on the Pub Forum

Market Place
Whitby
YO22 4DD

Delboy 20 left this review about Abbey Wharf

Large upstairs pub with good views over the harbour. No less than 9 beers on when I visited including a couple of local ones. The service was friendly and the beer was fine. I'd be happy to call again.

On 26th July 2018 - no rating submitted

Old Boots left this review about Abbey Wharf

A large open plan place above an arcade of small shops offering fish n chips plus beer. It serves half a dozen ales plus the national keg stable, the ale wasn't in bad nick. It's on the first floor so has a harbour view and consequently is popular. There was a wedding reception in progress on the mezzanine floor while I was there and yes the meal was fish n chips.

On 17th September 2017 - no rating submitted
[User has posted 2169 recommendations about 2016 pubs]

Danny O'Revey left this review about The Shambles

Now called the Abbey Wharf, Upstairs open plan almost barn conversion feel, the pub is upstairs above the shops. There is a terrace, restaurant & family room also. The bar is in the middle of the room and sofas along side the river view terrace.

Quite a pleasant place, seems to be run by the goths training school, all the staff are 'hairy' and you expect a row of VW camper vans parked outside.

8 real ales on offer on my visit, nearly all seasonal offerings from Theakstons, Wold Top and Copper Dragon.

On 9th January 2017 - rating: 7

General Staal left this review about The Shambles

Popped in here over the October Halloween Goth Weekend. I did a pub crawl and the Shambles was the only pub to serve its beer in plastic glasses. All the pubs were pretty busy and the Shambles was no exception.

The beer I had was very nice, but being served in plastic is not good. Just had the one and moved on.

On 7th November 2010 - no rating submitted

Mike Hewitt left this review about The Shambles

As ever The Shambles is one of our first choices when having lunch out in our home town Whitby. We had an hour or two in there last Saturday lunchtime and as usual the Ale was excellent and the food was generous portions and very good. The staff seem to enjoy their work and always seem to enjoy a bit of banter when serving. This place is quickly becoming an equal to the charms of The Duke of York.

On 11th June 2010 - rating: 8

General Staal left this review about The Shambles

I have been in here twice during my pilgrimages to Whitby - once in October 2009, and once in April 2010.

The pub is upstairs over an indoor market in a relatively new build. It is large, open plan and modern. In looks, the interior seems to be struggling for an identity. It is quite bland.

Beer wise, it serves a variety of Copper Dragon and Theakstons ales.

Now, on my first visit in Oct 2009, the place was quiet and the staff seemed quite surly. I waited to be served for what seemed an eternity, eventually leaving and going elsewhere having got a bad impression of the place.

The second time I visited in April 2010, the place was still quiet, but had a much more welcoming atmosphere. The sun was shining and it was nice and warm and comfortable. My father-in-law and I sat here for a number of hours quaffing more pints of Old Peculiar than I care to remember. My wife and mother-in-law had to come and help us back to our digs!

Based on my first visit, I would not recommend this place. Based on my second, I would recommend it highly. I am confused!

On 9th June 2010 - rating: 4

BOB STEER left this review about The Shambles

Now this is a big place, bar in the middle of the room loads of space and a family room all over looking the harbour, meals looked excellent and beer was first class had a pint of Old Perculiar, balcany was busy so didn't get out there but great views, I highly recommend this pub.

On 17th August 2009 - rating: 8

Mike Hewitt left this review about The Shambles

We often have lunch here looking out over the harbour and drinking Cask Ales such as Theakstons XB, Old Peculiar, various Copper Dragon brews and the inevitable John Smiths. The food is excellent, the atmosphere gentle and almost sophisticated, due to the large leather sofas in one area. On hot days its a delight to sit out on the balcony overlooking the harbour watching the comings and goings of the various fishing and sailing vessels.

On 2nd August 2009 - rating: 10

ian lyon left this review about The Shambles

Most enjoyable night,good cask beers and good local food

On 17th July 2007 - rating: 10