Random news of the day with hondo on the Pub Forum

The Harlequin, Kelham Island, Sheffield

108 Nursery Street
Sheffield
S3 8GG

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Tris C left this review about The Harlequin

The former Manchester gained its current name around 2008, at which time the S. H. Ward's brewery windows were removed.
As described below, this was a very decent stopover on our crawl and I enjoyed my Animal Brewing's Hop Kitty - most enjoyable, especially so given the £1.65 a half price.
Would certainly return.

On 16th July 2019 - rating: 7

Steve of N21 left this review about The Harlequin

At this point of the recent Pubs Galore crawl of Sheffield I found myself taking a detour with the group apple juice slurper to visit this regular winner of the local CAMRA branch Cider pub of the year award.
A decent looking corner Victorian pub and I liked the way it was still surrounded by brick buildings of the Sheffield industrial era. Once inside somehow I completely missed the Exit 33 beers, presumably because I was distracted by the pumps on the main bar section carrying the guest ales which included Oakham Citra, XT Brewing Hop Kitty and Moor Brewery Nor Hop alongside Hawkshead Brewery Lakeland Gold, Tapped Brew Company Station Porter and Dark Revolution Luminous, and the Nor Hop was in fine form. I cannot comment on the cider but according to the chalk board dedicated to alcoholic apple and pear beverages there must have been a choice of over 16 of them.
I wasn’t as drawn to the interior decor of this carpeted single room pub as others seem to have been but it is certainly spacious and perhaps the fact that there wasn’t many in didn’t help the overall ambience during our visit.

On 16th July 2019 - rating: 7

Will Larter left this review about The Harlequin

It was fairly quiet in here at the time of my most recent visit, around knocking off time on a Friday. Numerous hand pumps featured three Exit 33 beers and five guests (plus a guest keg from Sheffield's newest brewery, St Mars of the Desert - see photo); there were also, as always, plentiful cider offerings. There was nothing wrong with my beer, a pale one from Great Heck, but I found the background music intrusive, varying as it did between annoying and very annoying. Other than that, this is a comfortable enough pub that I have somehow never really warmed to. Others may find it more to their taste.

On 16th April 2019 - rating: 6

ROB Camra left this review about The Harlequin

Called in many times since my review below. Nothing much has changed except that it's now the brewery tap for Exit 33. Several of their beers on the bar plus a couple of guests. I had a Dark Star Hophead Mosaic and an Exit 33 Winter Pale whilst chatting to Pete the Exit 33 brewer.

05/07/2010
Relative newcomer to the "Valley of Beer" ale trail. 10 handpumps with a fine array of beer and styles including a mild, a porter and a stout last Saturday. A couple on from Northern as well to please the lighter ale lovers. The two pint I had Goffs White Knight and Brew Company Winter Tan were excellent. The pub is on two levels with comfortable seat all around. There is bric-a-brac on almost every available space with everything from Wallace wearing the wrong trousers to seated Indian Chiefs. I think this place is a great addition to the beer crawl as it's 5 minutes from Kelham Island on the way back to town. 5 minutes is long enough to wait for a beer if you're on a crawl.

Called in again last weekend and as it was sunny sat out in the beer garden which was very pleasant. Had a pint of Golden Angel from The new Toad brewery in Doncaster. Pretty good it was too.

On 3rd March 2017 - rating: 8

Will Larter left this review about The Harlequin

Following another change of ownership, the Harlequin is now a showcase for the beers of Exit 33 Brewery, based just the other side of the city centre in the Park Hill area, and not nearly as close to the M1 as its name implies. Their Blonde and New England Best are always available on two hand pumps at the short side of the bar facing the entrance, while innumerable other pumps dispense a mixture of a rotating selection from Exit 33 plus guests, and four more on the far end (opposite the cider board) dispense ciders. In my experience the beers are always in good condition, my only grouse being the preponderance of new world hops. Having said that, the New England Best is very quaffable and my default selection if I'm not in the mood for a stout. My main reasons for not attending this pub more often would be the likelihood of having my senses assailed by either the smell of roast meat or the sound of folk music. Oh, and the fact that I would have to pass both the Kelham Island Tavern and the Fat Cat to get here. If none of those quibbles apply, it would have to be a must-visit if in the area.

On 23rd May 2016 - rating: 6

Aqualung . left this review about The Harlequin

This is another great old boozer just across the way from the Kelham Island pubs. It's one large room with a carpet so somewhat different to the other pubs in the area but at least there is room to swing a cat, a fat one at that.
I noticed there was a dart board in here as well, the only one I had managed to spot on the day. Amongst the many handpumps there were four Sky's Edge beers so I went for their Rum Cask Stout (£2.80) which was in first class condition.
I was happier having a pint here than the busy and more famous places up the road.

On 17th November 2014 - rating: 9

John Bonser left this review about The Harlequin

This is a traditional one bar open plan pub on Nursery Street, situated the other side of the River Don from the other “Valley of Beer” pubs and opposite a number of newish residential apartment blocks.

It’s a comfortable split level interior with carpets, spindle back chairs, padded seats and a rather dark, slightly gloomy, old fashioned 1970’s air.

This is another enterprising real ale pub which also offers an extensive foreign bottled beer range, all listed and described in what is probably one of the chunkiest leather bound drinks menus that I can ever recall seeing.

On the real ale front, and a development since my previous visit in 2009, the pub is now the brewery tap for the imaginatively named The Brew Company, who brew in a nearby former factory. My recent visit saw 6 of their ales available ( Blonde, Best Bitter, Kiwi Pale Ale, Crazy Horse IPA, Ale Monster and Simco ) being available, supplemented by beers from Milton, Great Heck and Heritage Ales ( Victorian Porter ) Both the Brew Company Beers sampled ( Kiwi Pale Ale and Crazy Horse IPA were fine tasty pints )

My Sunday afternoon visit found the pub virtually deserted, in marked contrast to both The Fat Cat and The Kelham Island Tavern, but I enjoyed the visit and I’d look to return, despite the obvious competition close at hand

On 13th May 2014 - rating: 8

Danny O'Revey left this review about The Harlequin

Large open plan ale house near Kelham Island.

The interior follows the bar around and there is a dropped'pool' area in the bottom corner with a piano, which could all be done better, but overall its a nice place. The traditional jazz pipped music works

Beer was very good.

On 17th December 2013 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Harlequin

This traditional pub is well worth a visit. The bar staff were friendly and helpful and the condition of their ales were spot on. Seven ales on handpump on our visit, I went for the Brew Co Blonde, which was a good session ale. This pub is a must when in Sheffield.

On 28th April 2013 - rating: 9

Quinno _ left this review about The Harlequin

A revisit found things fairly similar though there now seems to be a number of Brew Co beers on as permanent. I tried the Brew Co IPA which was a little under-par. Perhaps I was just unlucky; I would have tried another but there were more pubs to get around to…thing is in Sheffield you really are judged by the last pint you serve as there so many alternative outlets…

Still a good pub though.

August 2009
A single room open-plan pub on two levels. The interior quite plush compared to a number of nearby outlets albeit in a slightly twee retro manner. Oversized glasses are used to serve a fine range (10) of well-kept ales from the carpeted bar area, including a few rare brews for the area – I noticed a Ballards and Rebellion beer on the go – as well as some ciders and an impressive range of bottled New World beers. Piped music with a varied, eclectic output. Good value sarnies available at £1.50 a pop which were excellent, just like my nan would make! There's board games available to keep you amused along with a dartboard. Live music is advertised, blues being a popular choice it seems. Overall, highly recommended if you like your beer. Not too far away from the KIT-Cat combo and on the way back (sort of) to the train station, so well worthwhile.

On 30th August 2012 - rating: 8