To Close or Not To Close? with Spinko on the Pub Forum

S1 4EL

Pub Type

Punch Taverns

Will Larter left this review about Dog & Partridge

My resolve to come here more often in 2018 amounted to 14 visits that year, but they tailed off after the summer when the regular beer changed from Balck Sheep to Barnsley Bitter. It was still that way on my first visit this year, but on my latest time through the door there was a pleasant change: Blue Bee Hillfoot Bitter, a very well made and properly bitter beer brewed here in Sheffield. If it's the same next time, I'll be back to making this a regular haunt.

On 18th June 2019 - rating: 7

Pub SignMan left this review about Dog & Partridge

I found this pub to be a slightly strange hybrid between a modernised pub and the sort of traditional boozer it clearly once started out as. You enter past a few small pavement tables, into a dark corridor with a fairly drab small seating area off to the left, with space for a few tables and chairs around a decent looking fireplace. Continuing along the corridor, you eventually emerge out into the bar area, with the servery to the rear left and some limited seating options opposite. The bar has a nice dark wood counter with copper trim and a white tile, pump clip lined bar back. The bar’s canopy and numerous dark wood beams throughout this room are also covered in pump clips and there is a large TV screen in the front corner, above a collection of board games. High tables and stools comprise the majority of the seating options, although there is a banquette underneath a stained glass window with a smart floral design. Elsewhere, there is a dartboard tucked away in another corner, next to a ‘Gilmour’s’ etched glass window and a door leads through to a rear room with more seating, mostly banquettes, a tiled fireplace with a ‘Gilmour’s’ mirror above and another TV screen. Music was playing fairly loudly and was almost entirely Irish themed (Molly Malone, The Commitments etc...), whilst the menu seemed to be based around soul-food classics, all of which made me feel this pub has a bit of an identity crisis.
On the bar there were found hand pumps offering Acorn Summer Pale, Magic Rock High Wire, Dead Parrot Kato Nwar and Stancill Barnsley Bitter. The Summer Pale was a reasonable £3.00 a pint and in reasonably good condition, although far from perfect.
I thought this pub had no idea what it wanted to be – is it a contemporary or traditional pub? Does a menu from the Deep South go with a soundtrack from Ireland? Is the beer actually any good or not? Who can be sure? There were certainly elements that I liked, but in trying to cover many bases, I felt that it didn’t really do any of them any justice and I was considerably less comfortable here than I was in the Grapes next door as a result.

On 2nd January 2019 - rating: 6

Will Larter left this review about Dog & Partridge

One of my new year's resolutions - in fact, probably the only one - is to go to the Dog & Partridge more often, after having several perfect pints of Black Sheep Best Bitter here last year. I know, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but to my taste buds it's a pretty good substitute for the long lost Leeds Tetleys; when well kept, as it always is here. Black Sheep is a well balanced session bitter with a lingering, dry, bitter aftertaste and that well-known hop flavour that people with strange beards deride as "twiggy". Well, I love twigs - bring them on! And I'll be coming here more often in 2018.

On 17th January 2018 - rating: 9

Bucking Fastard left this review about Dog & Partridge

A very impressive pub,on entry their is a front lounge to your left,a corridor with original glazed tiling,a tap room,a rear room with it's own bar access and a charming side snug with a serving hatch.The snug is worthy of close inspection with wood embellished with carvings by cutlers,bell pushes,Victorian fireplace yet a discreet flatscreen.Muzak was playing at a sensible volume and the welcome from the barman was genuinely friendly ,proud of his pub and committed to serve decent real ale.There are 6 handpumps,with four working on our Monday lunchtime visit serving Stancill Porter,Kelham Island Easy Rider,Black Wolf Lomond Gold and an excellent Blue Bee Hyphen,my pint of the crawl.
This pub should not be missed on any crawl around town,I plan to spend a lot longer in here on my next visit to the area.

On 18th July 2014 - rating: 9
[User has posted 2058 recommendations about 2058 pubs]

Real Ale Ray left this review about Dog & Partridge

A splendid looking pub, with nice features both inside and out. The front entrance hosts a stone threshold with the name Dog and Partridge inscribed. The short front lobby area also features some original glazed wall tiling. The small snug on the left hand side of the bar, also added great interest. Four ales on handpump, three of which were local. These were Kelham Island, Blue Bee and Stencill, the fourth ale was Black Wolf Brewery from Scotland. I went for the Blue Bee Hyphen, which was superb. A good pub this one and well worth a visit.

On 17th July 2014 - rating: 8

Will Larter left this review about Dog & Partridge

We called in here somewhat randomly the other night on a "lesser known real ale pubs" crawl of the city centre. This one was included because of the poor experience related in my review below, and because we'd heard there was more of an emphasis on real ales here now. Having been impressed by the bank of six hand pumps, and the quality of the one beer that I drank on that occasion, I resolved to return and sample some more.

Beers available on my visit tonight were Black Sheep Bitter, Abbeydale White Knight, Brew Co Blonde Sensation, Kelham Island Easy Rider, Itchen Valley Tea Clipper and Dancing Duck Dark Drake. The last named was the beer that I had drunk last week, so I asked the landlord, perhaps a little cheekily, if it was the same barrel - he assured me he had put a new one on on Saturday, and the quality of the beer on this occasion supported his assertion. I also had the Tea Clipper, which has Earl Grey tea as a flavouring, and the Black Sheep, which was in superb condition.

I went in my favourite room here, the snug behind the bar, which is like stepping into another century. I'm not sure about the gold patterned wallpaper, but it doesn't clash too badly with the dark red plush bench seating, and the very old and very dark wood panelling is still in place, with its bell pushes and deeply incised initials and indeed the full names of former customers still in place. Elsewhere, the back room, in which I still half expect to see the JFK memorabilia now to be found in the Grapes just up the road, is a more anonymous room than formerly, but very comfortable. I was told that the present team has been here for 12 months, with their very welcome real ale emphasis, so they must have taken over not long after my previous poor experience - I will have to make up for lost time.

This one now bridges the gap very nicely between the Dove and Rainbow and the Red Deer, so making an almost straight line crawl heading for the University Arms, though a deviation to include the Museum would be my recommendation. For visitors arriving by train, the tram to Castle Square will start the crawl very conveniently, with a return from the University tram stop getting you back to your starting point.

On 10th February 2014 - rating: 8

Will Larter left this review about Dog & Partridge

My first visit here since I posted the review below. I'd noticed in passing that the exterior had been smartened up, and on entering it was apparent that the inside has also had a good deal of money spent on it. There are four hand pumps on the bar, one serving Black Sheep Bitter and another Clarks Blonde. The front room is now dominated by a pool table, with a bandit in one corner and a DJ's booth in another, with a TV screen above it.

When we came in, just after 9pm on a Tuesday, there was one other customer watching the TV and a DJ doing a sound check. We took our beers to the small room just to the left of the entrance, where there is now a high table. (The snug referred to in my previous review was plunged in darkness; perhaps they just use it for over-spill when it gets busy.) About 9.30 the DJ suddenly stopped his testing and blasted out a record at top volume and our previous conversation became a shouting match. We didn't hang around to see if anyone turned up in response to this call for action.

It's hard to know who this loud music is aimed at. The pub will always be what my daughter is kind enough to call a "creepy old man's pub", i.e. seen as totally uncool by anyone under 25. Although the music is probably loud enough to get the attention of those doing the West Street circuit bars in their underwear, it seems unlikely they'll want to turn this into the next place to be seen.

On 15th November 2012 - rating: 2

Will Larter left this review about Dog & Partridge

The landlady has now moved on to the Grapes just along the road, and the customers have gone too, so it's no longer the Irish pub that it was. Still an interesting multi-roomed pub (I like the little snug to the left of the bar, which is often missed), but there's only Tetleys Bitter on hand pump now.

On 1st April 2011 - rating: 6

Alan Winfield left this review about Dog & Partridge Pub

The Dog and partridge looks quite nice from the outside with its green front and old Gilmours signs.
This pub used to be a Tetley tied house and when i went in here again there was still Tetley bitter on the bar which was a decent drink.

On 15th January 2011 - rating: 7

ROB Camra left this review about Dog & Partridge Pub

This is pretty much an Irish pub without the "theming" of O'Neills etc. It was packed on Friday as there were three guys playing acoustic guitars in the back room. Pretty good they were too. There's a tiny lounge on the left as you walk in with a real fire, very comfortable. The large back room also has a real fire but we couldn't get in to have a look as it was so busy. Had Tetley Bitter and Abbeydale Brimstone on handpump, the Brimstone was pretty good as well. Most people were drinking Guinness or Magners though. It's a decent enough pub and very popular.

On 9th March 2010 - rating: 7