10th Anniversary Pub Crawl in Birmingham with Real Ale Ray on the Pub Forum

34 South Baileygate
Pontefract
WF8 2JL

Old Boots left this review about The Olde Tavern

Bigger than it looks, an old and pretty much an unspoiled pub, two bars; one a traditional public with a pool table, the other an extended lounge with very naff decor in the extension, god it's awful and spoils a decent pub. If they were to fully divide off the nasty bit at the the balastrade it would improve it no end. Having said that it's a long time since I've had a better pint of Black Sheep, anywhere, yes anywhere, for a while and I live 10 miles from Masham! Good local following so obviously worth a visit if you like old style pubs.

On 19th January 2020 - no rating submitted

Steve C left this review about The Olde Tavern

The interior of the Old Tavern consists of a left hand public bar and a larger L shaped right hand bar with seating at the rear. I popped my head into the public bar to see a dartboard and pool table, but I spent the majority of my stay in the larger bar. There were only a handful of customers at 20:00 during my recent Monday visit so there was little atmosphere. This atmosphere wasn’t added to by the airing of Coronation Street on a television that sits above a filthy fish tank. Hopefully the advertised aviary in the rear beer garden is a little cleaner! There is a weekly quiz every Sunday from 20:00.
Standard keg products were available from the bar that also supports a couple of hand pumps that were drawing Theakstons and Black Sheep. Food is available but the kitchen was closed during my visit, although I did see an advertisement for a carvery. The service was polite without being that friendly. Myself and a work colleague were looking for somewhere local to our hotel to have a few beers and we only stayed in here for a half before moving on, which I think speaks volumes.

On 2nd May 2016 - rating: 4

Alan Winfield left this review about The Olde Tavern

The Olde Tavern is a stand alone pub that is situated on a busy main road and a short walk from the town centre.
Once inside there is a small square shaped pool room to the front left,there is a small darts room behind this which has two boards.
The main drinking room is to the right and is a long oblong shaped room which runs to the rear,the room is carpeted and has comfy bench seating and chairs to the front and a nice looking tropical fish tank,the rear area looks more like a dining area with normal tables and chairs.
There was one real ale on the bar which was Theakston Black Bull bitter,this was a decent drink to start my Pontefract crawl on.
The pub also has a decent beer garden to the rear.
I quite liked this pub.