The guinness machine with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

Bradford
BD1 1LH

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

ROB Camra left this review about The Exchange

Atmospheric cellar bar with arched ceilings and quirky drawings on the walls. There are some booths to the right and a real mix of other tables and chairs. Friendly barmaid and customers. 5 handpumps on the go with a decent selection of styles. My pint was in very good nick and a CAMRA discount of 20p per pint is offered. I'll be back here soon.

On 27th November 2019 - rating: 8

Old Boots left this review about The Exchange

not much change internally from previous incarnations as it’s surely listed, but the range of beers is a good well balanced choice and fairly locally sourced on the cask front with an interesting selection as regards keggy stuff. Well worth dropping in and having a pint or two.

On 7th October 2019 - no rating submitted

Rob Hunter left this review about The Exchange Craft Beer House

Now reopened as the Exchange Craft Beer House, under new ownership after the Bradford Brewery bit the dust. There are still five hand pulls at the bar, and at the time of my visit offering a few Nightjar ales and a couple of others I didn't make a note of.

Google says it opens at 5pm but it was definitely open at 3pm on my Tuesday visit, and in fact the doors were open earlier than this when I walked by - so don't let Google put you off an afternoon visit.

Service was friendly and the Cosmonaut by Nightjar that I had (£1.75 for a half) was in good nick.

There is a 'craft' beer board but I didn't notice any keg taps other than the font on the bar (which was not big enough to accommodate everything listed) so either I wasn't looking hard enough or these could be available in the forms of bottles or cans. However I was happy enough with cask so didn't have cause to investigate further.

It wasn't too busy, as expected for 3pm on a Tuesday afternoon, but there was a couple sat at the bar already when I got there, and another gent appeared not long after, so not completely dead.

I stand by my previous score of 8/10, and again I would be happy to pay a return visit.

On 10th December 2018 - rating: 8

Rob Hunter left this review about The Exchange Ale House

Called in yesterday after doing a few other places in Bradford, on my way back to the train station. At the bar are five hand pumps, offering one cider, two or three real ales by Bradford and a guest or two. I had the Ivegate Stout by Bradford which was very nice. There seemed to be a group of regulars round the bar and the barmaid seemed to know some of them by name, and she was rather chatty and friendly. Sometimes it is the person working the bar that makes a place, and I think for these fellas that was definitely the case here. Bar service was friendly and she didn't let chatting to the regulars get in the way of serving other customers.

Old Boots described it as a dank cellar bar - I'm trying hard to disagree but his comment is probably fair. I didn't find it gloomy or miserable though despite the subdued lighting. There is some natural light coming in at the raised area to the front of the building. Food is served and menus were on the tables. There was a solitary high chair in the corner so can only assume the place to be family friendly.

Worth a look and I would definitely go back again.

On 28th July 2018 - rating: 8

Old Boots left this review about The Exchange Ale House

A slightly dank cellar bar underneath the old Wool Exchange selling Bradford Brewery beers across four pumps with a guest on fifth, Revolutions on this occasion. Very quiet on a Sunday afternoon when I called in but the beer was up to scratch. The toilets are even lower than the main bar although the back of the room is at street level on another street.

On 30th October 2017 - no rating submitted

Old Boots left this review about The Exchange Ale House

Leased by Bradford Brewery due to reopen 2017. http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/News/15437887.Cheers_as_popular_city_centre_pub_taken_over/

On 28th July 2017 - no rating submitted