How Will Pubs Open? with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

NE1 4SF
Phone: 01912326865

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Quinno _ left this review about The Strawberry

Literally opposite St James's Park. Fairly basic interior with black and white checkerboard flooring at the bar. A pool table is located down a couple of steps off left. As to be expected there’s loads of NUFC ephemera on display including a well-done set of artistic impressions of players past on the joist. All NUFC fixtures shown and inevitably there’s plenty of big screens for sport. Vaping allowed. Loud Friday night chart music hurt my ears. Five ales on, a pretty good selection and Black Hill Three Quarter was in good shape. I can also vouch for the giant filled Yorkshire pud - mince, mash, dumpling, veg and gravy. Amazing value at £5.95 for huge portion and exactly what I required after a hard days crawling. Very friendly locals who I got chatting to. A good little place and much better bet IMHO than places like the Duke of Wellington and Hotspur.

On 6th July 2015 - rating: 8

Gill Smith left this review about Strawberry Inn

A first time visit to this 2010 entry in the Good Beer Guide. Enjoyed Captain Cook's Endeavour and had a walk up to the outside seating area and wow, what a bonus for the pub. The terrace was fantastic, and I feel that my next visit to Newcastle needs to reverse the order of pubs visited so I can spend more time here.

On 26th August 2010 - rating: 8

ROB Camra left this review about Strawberry Inn

Bare floorboarded, one roomed pub right in the shadow of the stands at St James's Park. As you might expect it's full of Toon memorabilia (see the pub sign). Has 5 handpumps one usually serving a Mordue beer plus Deuchars, along with 3 changing guests. I usually call in here for one when in Newcastle assuming that either there is no match on across the road or the match is still being played. I don't think I'd want to be in here before or after the game. Beer has always been good, also has a pool table plus a quiz machine. We called in twice last week and for some reason Ms CAMRA really liked it, even preferring it to the nearby Newcastle Arms. It now has a outside terrace on the first floor balcony, which is a bonus. The food is very reasonably priced with huge portions. I had mince, dumplings, mash & mixed veg, the other half had lasagne, garlic bread and a massive salad. Total bill, just over £8, great value.

On 20th April 2010 - rating: 8