How Will Pubs Open? with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

Kingston Upon Thames
KT2 6QA

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Fighting Cocks

This is one pub where they didn't have to make any special decorative efforts in the run up to Hallowe'en. It's black and gothic everywhere all the time. It looks ghastly in my opinion, but I'm sure it's the look they are trying for. I was in at early doors on a Wednesday, when there was an overpowering smell of cleaning fluid, and there was raucus heavy metal music being played. There's a pool table and I saw a quiz night advertised.

They did have a couple of real ales on - Doom Bar and Robinson's Trooper (obviously). The Trooper was £4.15 a pint and £2.50 a half. This is a too wide disparity between pint and half prices in my opinion. I'm sure this place appeals to certain type of customer, but having had three of my senses assaulted, as well as my pocket, I left never to return.

On 7th November 2018 - rating: 3

Quinno _ left this review about The Fighting Cocks

A long-established student alt/rock pub which also hosts occasional live music and comedy nights. The interior is dark, in places black, and fairly stripped back with various monochrome band pictures, US number plates, a bat wing ceiling fan, a skull and crossbones on the mirrored bar back and the telly was showing HORROR+1. Obligatory copy of the Graun (appeared unread). Two ales, Robinsons Trooper (inevitably) and Dark Start Hophead, for which I fleeced £2.15 for a half (at least it was in decent nick). I guess it works well enough as there were a few people in but ultimately the high prices and my long-past-student-age means I'll pass next time.

On 1st December 2016 - rating: 5

john gray left this review about The Fighting Cocks

Passed loads of times but thought it was a music/comedy club.Interesting music orientated bar..Grotty ,well worn interior with music posters.Two cask ales Trooper (obviously) and my Dark Star -hophead which was served in a glass from the fridge but did not hide the flavour.Quirky but worth a visit.

On 17th September 2016 - rating: 6

Old Blue left this review about The Fighting Cocks

Not sure why no-one’s reviewed this before. You get something of the character of this legendary Hell’s Angel themed live music venue from the death’s head emblems either side of the entrance. Legend also has it that it lives up to its name, as there’s lots of fighting and it’s full of total cocks. However, this is of course nonsense. As at my Sunday evening visit there were eleven other customers, all male and looking the part, having friendly conversations with one another, The barman made us feel very welcome. There were two ale pumps, on which only Tribute (a drinkable pint of) was available, and a fair range of taps including Stowford Press cider. The interior has an unsurprisingly black theme to it, the ‘our house wine is Jagermeister’ poster above the bar and the mantelpiece with five skulls on it seemed perfectly in place. Not quite so keen on the leopard skin baize on the pool table, but I guess the traditional green would have clashed somehow. We had a pleasant drink here on what was evidently a quiet (apart from the heavy jukebox music) night. If you like the theme you will love this pub. Personally I’d be very happy to come here again if passing, though I wouldn’t go out of my way to do so unless I had a particular reason, such as a live music night.

On 24th November 2011 - rating: 6