Guess who I met today? with oldboots on the Pub Forum

GU9 0JA
Phone: 01252820385

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Moby Duck left this review about The Alfred

Update
Spurred on by Komakinos review today, I will back up his observations, this pub really is top notch, it is now a regular stop for me at least once a week even though its eight miles from home, was in today and a group of mates and myself will be in for a lunchtime session tomorrow, Christmas eve. Normal opening hours are as per Whatpub, Mon - Thurs 5.30 - 11.00 , Fri - Sat 5.30 - 11.30 Sunday - 12.00 - 10.30. In five years drinking here I've never had a poorly conditioned beer and the staff are spot on. worth the effort to get here.

Sept 2013
I have been meaning to get here for sometime,having failed a couple of times as it seems to have restricted opening hours and doesn't appear to be open mid-week day times,and I failed to establish what they actually are on my brief visit.But I am very glad I have finally got here, a brick building with a lot of flint work on the exterior, not so common in these parts.As you enter to the right is a small room with a bar and this seems to be the public bar although not signed as such and this was the bar where everybody was on my visit. there is a second larger room with a bar and a dartboard along with plenty of seating, to me this had the appearance more of a function room than a lounge bar,it was unused while I was there.The small public bar was well attended and it seemed to me everybody were all known to each other and as such very much a local social gathering place but being a stranger I didnt feel out of place at all and felt rather comfortable here.The decor was rather plain and functional but the walls are adorned with old photos and sketches of nearby pubs from the past,many of which no longer exist but some that I can remember from my increasingly distant youth,around the bar area there are fronds of dried hops festooned around and a good scattering of beer clips from previously available ales. This pub is now called the Alfred Freehouse and this name is evidenced by the copious beer clips of many fine ales that have graced this pub attached around the bar area and gives credence to the name. Four hand pumps at the bar I was in and beers on during my visit were Ringwood Best, Banks and Taylor Dragonslayer and Milton Pegasus, the fourth was a real cider which unfortunately I cant remember what it was.I chose the Milton Pegasus, a brewery I havent been totally convinced by in the past but this was spot on, a lovely pint,I was very taken by this this pub ,a decent crowd of locals ,friendly landlord and importantly excellent beer in choice and quality,I will certainly be back and urge anyone who likes their beer and pubs to try it too,opening times permitting .

On 23rd December 2018 - rating: 8

Komakino . left this review about The Alfred

A superb off-the-beaten track boozer, already well-described by the esteemed Moby Duck below, offering great service and great beer and with friendly locals and a convivial ambience in semi-traditional surrounds. Was great to have a bit of banter with the staff and locals (they're binning off WiFi in the New Year to encourage people to talk to each other!) and a pint of Ciren Ales Christmas Porter for £3.50 was in top notch form - one of five ales on display. If I didn't live so far away, I'd make a point of revisiting this place with frequency.

On 23rd December 2018 - rating: 8