Yet another list with Pangolin on the Pub Forum

94 Stanford Street
Lowestoft
NR32 2DD

Steve C left this review about Stanford Arms

Located in the backstreets of Lowestoft is the Stanford Arms which has just won the CAMRA East Anglian pub of the year award. The L shaped bar supports twelve hand pumps and a couple of keg fonts that I imagine draw some craft concoction. To the right of the bar (and entrance) is a small area that housed a microphone and some speakers that I imagine were still in situ from the previous night. There were no musicians during my Sunday afternoon visit, but some low background music was playing. The seating and standing around the bar is very cosy, but there is another seating area at the rear where there is a little more space. A counter in this rear area is used to serve wood fired pizza. Whilst waiting for my nice pint of amber ale I noted that Wednesdays seem to be themed food nights (Mexican, Greek, Indian etc.), with advice to book in advance due to popularity.
Out the back is an enclosed paved beer garden that is covered with vines running overhead. I found the cheeping of the birds in the aviary very soothing whilst supping on my pint and injuring myself on the cactus display.
To avoid disappointment, it should be noted that this pub is closed on Thursdays and opens at 16:00 Monday to Wednesday, 15:00 on Fridays and midday at the weekend. I found the service to be very friendly making this a must visit pub.

On 15th September 2017 - rating: 9

Aqualung . left this review about Stanford Arms

The Stanford Arms is one of the contenders for the CAMRA pub of the year. Although listed as Lowestoft Town it isn't a central pub but is set in the terraced back streets to the North West of Lowestoft Rail Station. Externally it's a red brick corner pub and inside is a single roughly L shaped area with a tiled floor throughout and a U shaped bar where the side facing the entrance is the main serving area. There is a pool table that was covered and a paved patio at the rear. I got the impression that the building is probably early twentieth century but can't be certain. No keg products at all are sold but I did overhear talk of them getting a non-mainstream lager, possibly Adnams. They do sell various bottles plus a range of spirits and I assume wines.
Ten beers were available and around six ciders which were stacked on the bar. Beers ranged from around 3.7% to 5.9% and were priced between £3.30 and £4.00. I noted three from Nene Valley, two from Tintagel, Bexar, Allday, Boadicea, Golden Triangle and Redwell. I stayed for a while and had the Redwell Kofra Stout (£4.00), Nene Valley Jim Irvine Pale (£3.70) & Egyptian Cream (£3.60) and Allday Green Hop Fuggle (£3.70). They all tasted fine but the paler ones weren't entirely clear.
This is a nice friendly place with a great beer choice and well worth trying.

On 17th January 2017 - rating: 8