Pubs near train stations with AlanH on the Pub Forum

Pub Type

Fuller's

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

E TA left this review about The Marsh Harrier

Internally very much as described by Quinno, below, though Covid has taken its toll on the beer line-up. The only draft ale available was Pride, though Honeydew made for a good keg back-up. The food was freshly made and reasonably priced, and I had a pizza which I have to say was better than many others I’ve had. It’s not often I’m in this area now, but if I do come back I’d be happy to come here for a beer and a snack.

On 22nd September 2021 - rating: 6

Quinno _ left this review about The Marsh Harrier

An unexpected side-street Fullers outlet in what looks on first sight like an unpromising area, bordering on Cowley and overlooking an industrial unit. Looked like a fair wedge of money had been recently spent here; enter to an inevitably modernized interior - battleships grey walls and some stylized gold leaf wallpaper. Darts alcove to the right with a knocked through room to the left. Fire looked usable (there were logs) but on a dank and chilly November afternoon it remained unlit. Rear grassed garden done to a high standard with a mature weeping willow overhanging, very quaint. Selection of papers and live music advertised (Tom Hingley, he of the Inspiral Carpets). In what looked like a working area the clientele were decidedly middle class (gentrification?) so the refurb is clearly working. At the bar were five Fullers ales (including the special Wild River and seasonal Red Fox). The Red Fox was serviceable but lacking a little sparkle. Barman a bit of a dolt - unable to summon hot water for the preceding customers tea (exit stage left to find a kettle), then he couldn’t find the correct teabag (exit stage left to go hunting in the stock room) and continually failed to acknowledge my presence which put me out as I’d clocked up almost 5 minutes waiting for my beer and been held up by some Chloe wanting a cup of tea. Grr. An odd one - they're clearly trying but it didn't quite click for me. Perhaps the bar faff made me grumpy.

On 7th November 2014 - rating: 6