Beer of the Week (w/e 7th August 2022) with Bucking Fastard on the Pub Forum

Alnwick
NE66 1PN

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rob Hunter left this review about The Plough Hotel

This very much feels like a hotel bar rather than a pub. Despite the large size of the building, the drinking area is actually quite small. I only spotted one hand pull at the bar, offering Black Sheep Best Bitter. I noticed afterwards that a chalk board listed Laine Robin Red Best as also being available, though there was no sign of a second hand pull unless there is a separate section to the bar somewhere that was not immediately visible. Laine is apparently brewed in Brighton, so that has travelled some miles to get up to Alnwick.

Accommodation is available, obviously. A function room is also advertised. Not one I can see myself returning to, to be honest.

On 15th January 2020 - rating: 6

Will Larter left this review about The Plough Hotel

A "boutique hotel" with public bar to the right, which has its own entrance via the archway, if you didn't come in through the main door. The choice of beers was limited to Timothy Taylor Landlord and Black Sheep Bitter. Having not been impressed with the offerings from local breweries in the preceding two pubs, I suppose I should have been grateful. My half of Black Sheep was good but there is nothing special about this bar - the exterior promises much but I found it disappointingly lacking in character.

Date of visit: 12th March 2018