Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries with london calling on the Pub Forum

Settle
BD24 9DU

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Golden Lion

This hotel has been well described by the previous reviewer, including the fact that all the customers were older than either of us. Which takes a bit of doing. However, they all seemed in fairly good nick - I overheard one woman say to another (this in the context of an acquaintance of both who had died at 75), "I'm 79 - how old are you?"; "81", was the reply. They could both have been 10 years or more younger.

At the time of my visit there were five Thwaites beers on the bar, plus two guests (see photos). My Thwaites Mild was in very good condition. Service was friendly and informal, and I was happy to spend some time here. If this is what God's Waiting Room looks like, perhaps there is hope for us all.

On 2nd February 2020 - rating: 7

Old Boots left this review about The Golden Lion

Traditional some may say staid hotel bar, comfortable wooden furnished. The main entrance leads straight into a lounge bar area with a sweeping staircase to one side and a massive fireplace that looks like it means business but houses a relatively weedy wood burner. The counter is straight ahead with six pulls for decently kept Thwaites and one of Old Rosie, there are three more in a room to the left which was laid out for dining. There’s another dining type area away to the right. The drinks menu says they stock local and guests in addition to Thwaites. Other than the bar staff I appeared to be the youngest person in the room, I thought I’d wandered into an episode of “Waiting for God”, I suspect they may have the undertaker’s number on speed dial. There’s a more public bar called the "Lion’s Den" at one end, it has a separate entrance and offers the same Thwaites beers and a less refined ambience.

On 12th September 2019 - no rating submitted
[User has posted 2208 recommendations about 2053 pubs]

Rob Hunter left this review about The Golden Lion

Paid another visit, now operating as the Golden Lion rather than the Lion at Settle, but it is pretty much the same place. There were seven hand pulls with one off, the selection being Wainwright, Sin Bin (Thwaites?), Lancaster Bomber, Thwaites Original, Thwaites Nutty Black and Jericho Blonde by Settle. The Jericho Blonde set me back £1.80 or £1.85 for a half.

The place is dog friendly and I noticed water, towels and cushions all available for those four legged friends.

Service felt a little "corporate" but I think the young chap serving was fairly new so it may just have been nerves. Certainly not unfriendly though.

The layout is pretty much as previously reviewed, still with the separate area laid out for dining.

On 20th February 2019 - rating: 8

Rob Hunter left this review about The Lion at Settle

I have been to Settle a few times but never managed to visit the Lion. Corrected that back in the start of December. It still appears to be a Thwaites house - offering at the time of my visit Thwaites Original, Nutty Black, Lancaster Bomber, Wainwright, Hygge (which I assume was a seasonal one) and a solitary guest which was Devil's Bridge by Kirkby Lonsdale Brewery. I had the Devil's Bridge and the Hygge which were both in good condition and slipped down nicely.

It's a nice pub with a couple of different seating areas plus a further area more set up for formal dining with glasses laid on tables etc. The lady behind the bar was friendly. I would be very happy to go again some time.

On 4th January 2018 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about Golden Lion Hotel

Had a very pleasurable visit here and was made most welcome from the locals and staff alike. I was invited to join in the party and was up dancing in the lounge - good 1! This is a Danny Thwaites house, even better again as I rate their beer highly. Will call again.

On 17th March 2011 - rating: 9

James Joines left this review about Golden Lion Hotel

A Thwaites House with 3 fine examples on hand pull.
Bar has 2 drinking areas with the main area also having bar meals. A Restaurant is also available.
Accommodation provided in this dated Hotel with unusual decoration and Real Fires.
Car Park available.