Random news of the day with NickDavies on the Pub Forum

Harrow
HA1 3EF
Phone: 02084223155

Rex Rattus left this review about The Castle Inn

This is a classic Fuller’s pub, which had on Gales HSB, London Pride, and ESB. The Pride was absolutely superb, and provided a reminder of what an excellent ale this can still be when kept and served properly. And at £3.25 a pint it is very reasonably price in a pub that has gastro aspirations, as this one appears to have. The pretentious menu pricing still remains – sandwiches are 5½, the Castle Burger is 8¾, etc, etc. I just don’t see how it helps anyone, not least any foreign tourists who may pitch up here, not to use the widely recognised pricing convention of £5.50 and £8.75 respectively.
Having had my gripe, I have to say that I think that this is an excellent pub. It is well described below, so I don’t need to repeat it. I sat in the room to the right of the bar counter as you enter, and this is the one with numerous antique clocks on one of the walls, and amazingly two of them were telling the correct time. The rest of the walls were covered with miscellaneous prints. There was no music being played, no fruit or games machines, although I did spot a ciggy machine.
This is a classic Victorian pub that is rightly on the CAMRA inventory of heritage pubs, tucked away down a side street adjacent to the world famous Harrow School. Like The Flask at Highgate and The Holly Bush at Hampstead, it has managed to combine an upmarket ambience while at the same time retaining the feel of a real pub. This is rightly a destination pub.

On 21st April 2011 - rating: 8

Quinno _ left this review about The Castle

A CAMRA inventory heritage pub, the interior of which is well described by other posters – suffice to say it’s worth a visit on that basis alone. Perched up a fairly steep hill, it has a quite dominating position within the context of the area. My companion and I were impressed and the surroundings were complimented by some excellent Fullers beer – Pride, Discovery, ESB, HSB and the seasonal Hare. We tried one of each and they all came out well. Prices were OK given the location and Fuller’s irritating habit of fleecing their regular punters. Talking of punters, there were a right mix in here, excluding the wake taking place in the back room. Apparently there is an impressive garden at the rear but we didn’t try finding it. The atmosphere was lively when we were there and that was achieved without the aid of music or TV, which shows it can be done.

We enjoyed it here (stayed for an extra hour and knackered up the rest of our crawl as a consequence). It’s well-worth seeking out.

On 15th April 2011 - rating: 8

Malden man left this review about The Castle Inn

A prominant pub down a side street near Harrow School. The entrance has the pub name above in iron lettering, and there is also a mosaic tiled step in the lobby displaying the name. The well preserved interior retains the original multi-room layout, with the bar being split between two areas by a wooden screen with some leaded glasswork at the top, and a small service door once for the use of pub staff. A side room has a hatch to the bar, and a larger and rather elegant room at the back would appear to be reserved for dining.Boarded floors with wood blocks to the rear area, but there is some more recent tiling too. Decor consists of the usual sepia photos of the area, but also cricket scenes and a few portraits of distinguished Old Harrovians. Some etched mirrors, a few clocks too, including a small grandfather clock in a side room. I noticed a few board games, Jenga etc on a side table. Mixed seating, mostly traditional with some leather chairs too, but there are a couple of modern high tables with stools. A side door from the rear bar area leads to a narrow alleyway with a few outdoor chairs and tables. Some steps rise from here up to the back but I'm unsure if these lead to another outdoor area.
Fullers beers, in very good nick, my pint of Pride was as good as any I've had.
I did however notice the food menu, whilst the selection looked fine the rather pretentious pricing style rankled, why write eight and three quarters when you mean £8.75?
The pub overall however is well worth a visit, both for the interior and the good quality beer.

On 22nd May 2010 - rating: 7

Steve C left this review about The Castle Inn

This is a nice size Fullers pub that is split into three sections with two areas being served by the central bar. There is also another room to the rear of the pub, but after popping my head in I discovered that this is used as a restaurant. Alongside Staropramen and a standard draught selection were Bengal Lancer, Pride, ESB, Discovery and HSB which were all available on hand pump. I was served a decent pint of Guinness by a rushed yet polite member of staff.

There is some seating in the alley running down the side of the pub, but I’d imagine finding a seat to be nigh on impossible on a sunny day.

Fans of Fullers that don’t like the distraction of TVs and music will enjoy this place.

On 17th April 2010 - rating: 7