How was it for you? with Brainypool on the Pub Forum

Pub Type

Punch Taverns
Page: 1 2

Brainy Pool left this review about Roscoe Head

this remains the best pub in the city in my opinion and one of the best in the country. An unreconstructed gem, friendly and always buzzing with convivial conversation. the tiny TV in the bar is still only used for checking the footy scores on Teletext! Tetleys Bitter and Landlord seem to be permanent fixtures on the bar with four changing guests. still has the three lovely rooms off the main bar. I have total faith in the city of Liverpool to protect this gem from the developers at all costs.

Took a while to reopen after the lockdown. the road has been closed off and assigned as a beer garden which is the only change to this wonderful pub, thank god. Still the same old friendly welcome and excellent ale. Carol the owner is another dispute with the pubco though. Still the best proper pub in Liverpool, it simply has to be preserved.

On 19th September 2020 - rating: 10

Gill Smith left this review about Roscoe Head

Called into this friendly 2019 Good Beer Guide pub and chose Nailmaker Wentworth IPA which was fine. Tetley bitter available and Salopian Time Machine. Popular multi-roomed pub.

On 21st August 2019 - rating: 8

Rob Hunter left this review about Roscoe Head

Was pleased to include this on a recent Liverpool crawl. Six hand pulls at the bar with a chalk board listing the available beers. This is a multi roomed pub and the only one we went in all night where we didn't manage to get a seat at all. I had the Ernie's Milk Stout (Settle Brewery) and my drinking accomplice had the Fault Line (Salopian) and both were very good beers. This is a pub I would be very happy to return to.

On 11th April 2019 - rating: 8

Alan Hurdle left this review about Roscoe Head

My first visit for many years. I was the first customer Saturday lunch before noon. My pint of Dark Side of the Moose was in perfect condition. I could see that this cosy heritage pub was very well maintained.
I thought the campaign a year or two ago had saved the pub but I was sad to hear that it is under a constant threat from developers. Losing this place would be a total disaster.

On 26th November 2017 - rating: 10

Steve of N21 left this review about Roscoe Head

Alongside the usual TT Landlord and Tetley Bitter, Salopian Oracle, Peerless Brewery Langton Spin, Tweed Black Shire Stout and Faith Hope and Charity from the Rock the Boat Brewery were available on the other four.
We bagged a table in the back room and went through the four guests, all of which were in excellent nick.
Totally agree, the Roscoe Head is a Liverpool gem that is sadly under threat from Development. The people of Liverpool will be all the poorer if they lose this one to another student accommodation block.

On 11th September 2017 - rating: 9

Ian Mapp left this review about Roscoe Head

Simply had to come, when in Liverpool.

Back Street boozer with very friendly clientele. Instantly engaged in conversation and it was a struggle to get away. Even with four missed calls from the Mrs.

Landlord chosen from the beer board. In good nick.

Would love to come back.

Photos at my blog - http://bit.ly/2csv7Qs

On 5th September 2016 - rating: 10

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Roscoe Head

Splendid little backstreet pub and Good Beer Guide legend, with a cozy front room, a screened snug and a back lounge clustered around the small central bar area. Absolutely packed on this long-overdue re-visit, so we sat outside at the small front tables. Six handpumps featuring the regular Tetley's Cask and Landlord plus George Wright Hop Fusion No 7, Empire Indiaman, Little Crosby Village Liverpool Light and Red Star Havana Moon Stout. I like this place a lot - friendly staff and full of good-natured laughter - long may it live...

On 16th April 2016 - rating: 9

Al Bundy left this review about Roscoe Head

This pub has, at the moment, been taken over by New River Retail and is under threat. Your support would be very much appreciated.

On 2nd November 2015 - no rating submitted

Rex Rattus left this review about Roscoe Head

This is another traditional pub on CAMRA's Regional Inventory of pubs with historic interiors. I'm afraid the "Magnificent Seven" is now reduced to the "Famous Five", but this is one of the five ever present pubs in the GBG. It's well described below, and I'm happy to report that when I was in there a little over a week ago it was unchanged, and remains the very special boozer it always has been.

There were four ales on - Hawkshead 5 Hop, George Wright Brewing Co Mild, Tetley, and Timothy Taylor Landlord. The young lady behind the bar was kind enough to make Mrs R a cup of tea, and I'm told it was of a high standard. There was sign inside that said that as they weren't a free house there would be no free tasters as the pubco wouldn't allow it. A dig at the pubco is probably justified. This pub is under threat, and in my experience when a pub is threatened there's usually a pubco (invariably in league with a rapacious developer or supermarket chain) behind it.

This is a lovely pub. I'd be delighted to have this one as my local.

On 19th September 2015 - rating: 8

Aqualung . left this review about Roscoe Head

This is another famous Liverpool pub. It is a multi-roomed pub with no TVs or recorded music. The bar has six hand pumps which on my visit had Tetley's Bitter, Taylor's Landlord, Lytham Ice King, Hambleton Nightmare, Wentworth Flip Flop and Porter Street Brewery Oval 6. I thought compared to the Dispensary down the road that this was a pretty dull selection. I went for the Lytham Ice King (£3.30) which was in excellent condition but uninspiring.
I think this business of being in every GBG is a poisoned chalice for the local CAMRA branch where they are damned for leaving it in and damned if they remove it. All I can say about this one is that it's a nice unspoilt pub with very well kept beers but I prefer the Dispensary.

On 23rd July 2015 - rating: 8