Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

Manchester
M4 5JZ

Page: 1 2

Jon B left this review about The Smithfield Market Tavern

didn’t really do anything for me despite obviously trying its best. an ale emporium kind of place with a lot of choice but I found the beer on the expensive side and the pub modern and somewhat characterless. I wouldn’t want to put you off calling in but I just don’t think it’s that great.

On 6th January 2019 - rating: 5

Steve of N21 left this review about The Smithfield Market Tavern

I remember visiting this one a few years ago with the wife and walking straight out again as there is just so many “earthy” pubs she can stand being dragged into despite how good their beer may be.
But that wouldn’t be a problem nowadays as it certainly is a lot smarter that I remember it. Yes, I agree a bit of the pub feel has been removed and its now has more the feel of a modern Craft beer bar with its ten changing keg taps and six real ales and I certainly wouldn’t have a problem getting the wife into this one now.
I went for the Hawkshead Red from the list below and very good it was too.

On 23rd October 2018 - rating: 8

moby duck left this review about The Smithfield Market Tavern

A street corner pub , now modernised and opened out inside.Six ales were available and my Siren Suspended in Blanc was in good shape. Despite no longer being an old school traditional boozer, this pub had a good vibe about it.

On 21st October 2018 - rating: 7

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Smithfield Market Tavern

Owned by Blackjack Brewery,who have tidied up the place but in the process have stripped it of pub atmosphere,it feels more like a street corner bar.Open plan ,with a small bar to the middle right and seating both at the front and back,the bar billiards table remains but is covered by a plank of wood,so maybe play is suspended when the pub is busy.An out of tune upright piano is housed in an alcove ,an attempt was made to play it which was at least memorable if not very tuneful.
Surprisingly only one Blackjack ale was offered from the 6 ale choice on my trip,their Black Forest Stout was very good.Other ales on were Hawkshead Red and Five Hop,Tiny Rebel By the Beard of Zeus,Almasty Shinook &Azacca and Siren Suspended in Blanc together with Hallets National Treasure cider.A very good range of styles and strengths which in itself deserves spending a while longer than my brief crawl visit.I will be back.

On 13th October 2018 - rating: 8
[User has posted 1950 recommendations about 1950 pubs]

Ian Mapp left this review about The Smithfield Market Tavern

Another quality pub that gets the balance perfectly right between old school boozer and modern hipster bar.

Great beer and meat based snacks.

Visit blogged at http://bit.ly/2InlthU

On 12th March 2018 - rating: 9

ROB Camra left this review about The Smithfield Market Tavern

Called in many times since my last review. This is now the Blackjack brewery tap with usually 2 or 3 of their ales on the bar plus guests. Called in on Friday night and noticed that they now have a bar billiards table. It's a much improved pub since the takeover. A good pint of Black Edge Zinc as well.

14/10/2014
Reopened after a massive refurbishment by the new owners and has been extended into the building next door. It's now almost unrecognisable from the old Smithfield. Smart seating to the left as you enter, the old pool table is now raised between two supporting posts and is used as an ordinary table. There's a downstairs area, but we didn't visit. The toliets have been fully refurbished and you no longer need to hold your nose to visit them. The only area that looks similare is at the rear of the pub where the big screnn TV is situated and even this has had a spruce up. The only negative point is that the beer range is much reduced from the old days and isn't as inventive either. 2 beers from Wilson Potter and one from First Chop available on our visit and that was it, although it's early days yet and there were a couple of free handpumps. My pint was in good nick though. MS CAMRA quite liked the pub as well, so we can visit again now as she hated the old Smithy.

On 30th January 2017 - rating: 8

Wynne Route left this review about The Smithfield

Blackjack Brew pub.
A lively meeting of Rochdale Oldham and Bury CAMRA on their annual post Christmas walk

On 30th December 2015 - rating: 8

Al Bundy left this review about The Smithfield

A pretty basic pub decor wise and I can only assume it been done down since the last review. It does have an very good selection of real ale from 7 handpumps though. I couldn't see any smart seating and the downstairs was closed. Though I was here before 6 o'clock

On 4th November 2015 - rating: 7

Steve C left this review about The Smithfield Hotel

I popped into the Smithfield Hotel just after 17:00 on a recent Thursday afternoon when there were a handful of locals present. Although quiet I found the service and the other customers to be very friendly and there was a good atmosphere.
At the front of the pub is a pool table and a jukebox that was playing some sixties music. The bar is located on the right hand wall in the centre of the pub and there is some seating opposite. At the rear is more seating, a dartboard and a large plasma screen which was off with no signs of Sky Sports. I thought that this pub had a comfortable lived in feel, but the wallpaper is hideous.
The bar supports nine hand pumps that were drawing different beers from 8 different breweries. I went for Cottage Brewing Company’s Boundary which was on top form.

I would have no problem revisiting here and would include it again if on another crawl of the area.

On 22nd August 2013 - rating: 7

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Smithfield Hotel

A hit or miss pub in my opinion, we visited on a bad one. First of all I thought the interior of the pub was awful. Mrs Ale also said there was a funny smell in here. I commented that it must be one of the three customers in here. The barmaid didn't really give us much inspiration either. I asked about one of the 9 ales on handpump and the barmaid said 'I don't drink that stuff, all I know is it's down in the cellar'. My Slightly Foxed Brewing Co Fox Glove was OK, but Mrs Ale's beer choice was on the turn, it was rank.

On 14th June 2013 - no rating submitted