Those two new Tier 2 rules explained! with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

M21 0BQ

Pub Type

Greene King

Al Bundy left this review about The Royal Oak

A large open planned pub. Very traditional on the outside and sadly a little bit run down inside. Still at least its a proper pub and not an arty farty modern place. 3 real ales available, though not the best selection as it seems to be Greene King basics. An island bar is your servery. Not the best but at least its pub-like.

On 14th April 2016 - rating: 4

ROB Camra left this review about The Royal Oak

Sadly nothing much has changed here in the 5+ years since Roger's visit. It has a very imposing exterior but when you enter it's a massive, high ceilinged pub that has been totally ripped out to form one huge room. There's an island bar and there are still the 2 pool tables at the rear. I didn't notice the mirrorball and dancefloor though, so they may have gone. There's still no real ale despite Chorlton now being a real ale destination town. I had a half of something fizzy as I'd used their toilets, so it only seemed fair and sat down and listened to a foul mouthed women abusing her three companions. Nice! I'll definitely be in Chorlton again soon and I definitely won't be coming in here.

On 19th March 2013 - rating: 3

Roger Button left this review about The Royal Oak

Most people in here seem to be lonely old men making use of the bank and bookies either side before settling down for a day's racing whilst being fed and watered at give away prices. The cavernous interior encircles an island bar and whilst there are a few comfortable corners areas, the lack of any partitioning means that there is very little intimacy about the place. There are multiple TVs + Big Screen showing various sports and 2 pool tables at the rear. In front of the raised area at the front of the pub is a dance floor (complete with mirrorball) and I can only guess at the horrors that are put on here in the name of entertainment All food (except Sunday Roasts) is under £3 and whilst the menu is hardly adventurous, it does represent excellent value for money. The beers are however shockingly bad and I would defy anyone to claim that Green King IPA smooth is their favourite tipple. I will give the barmaid the benefit of the doubt over my suvvern accent for pouring me the totally wrong pint and subjecting me to this pint of monstrosity. With no Real Ales I guess I should have stuck to Strongbow or better still, walked out. It's clean and tidy but I certainly wouldn't give it much of a positive recommendation.

On 13th August 2007 - rating: 3