Beer of the Week (w/e 21st April 2019) with oldboots on the Pub Forum

N17 8AS
Phone: 02088809495

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve of N21 left this review about Antwerp Arms

The resurgent Antwerp Arms is now our pub of choice for match days. Saved from the developers when several local benefactors , including THFC themselves, stepped up to raise the final £125,000 needed before the deadline, this community owned pub is well described by Rex below. The only thing he missed is the small secluded courtyard garden outback which is pleasant when the sun is out and a boon on matchdays..It would be rude not to drink the Redemption Hotspur and its usually a well-kept pint..

On 15th March 2017 - rating: 8

Rex Rattus left this review about Antwerp Arms

This is a pub that's been on my radar for some while, and this week I finally summoned the will to get myself up to Tottenham to pay it a visit. And I'm glad I did. There are four handpumps, but only three are ever in use, with often only two with the third being brought into use when Spurs are at home. But when I visited on Monday three were clipped - Wadworth Dirty Rucker (but which had apparently finished the previous evening), plus the Redemption pair of Pale Ale and Hopspur. The Hopspur was in very good condition, and at the very reasonable price of £3.30 a pint for a 4.5% beer. The kitchens aren't yet up and running.

This is now a community owned pub, having been saved from the grave by a relatively recent campaign. It's a simple one-room pub with a modern bare-boarded floor, and mainly furnished with with banquettes and normal tables and chairs, but with a couple of armchairs. The pub has been extended at the back with the addition of a conservatory, which leads out to a garden at the back. This is an attractive out-of-the way pub, that would no doubt originally have been built to meed the needs of the less well-heeled members of the community. There are attractive bowed and lattice glazed windows at the front, a nice brick fireplace on the right, but other than that period features are in short supply here. The bar back and counter are both modern, but the (grey painted) panneling on the walls may be old, if not original, features.

I saw an advert for live football matches to be shown, but when I was in at early doors on Monday lunchtime only one of the three TVs was on, showing some midday news programme. I also saw a piano residing at the back near the conservatory. I was the only customer so cannot comment on the usual evening atmosphere of the place, but the barman/landlord told me that they get very busy on matchdays (no surprise there!), to the extent that they ensure that they have three ales on. The number of ales that they have on is constrained by the limited stillage that they have available.

Despite, or perhaps because of, its simplicity I really liked this little pub. It has a delightful setting looking out over Bruce Castle Park, plus my pint of Hopspur was on super form. This is a little oasis in a desert of pubs that don't do real ale in this area, and is the sort of enterprise that fully deserves our support. I plan to return sometime.

On 20th November 2015 - rating: 8