Hogs Back Taproom - not a pub? with rpadam on the Pub Forum

19 Perth Road
N4
N4 3HB

Steve of N21 left this review about Faltering Fullback

The Faltering Fullback is also my favourite pub close to Finsbury Park train station and I have utilised it several times for the rugby and especially for watching the Saracens when they have a televised game that I don’t have tickets for.
The front bar areas and the “Sin Bin” have been well described by previous reviewers but the wonderful courtyard outback needs additional praise. As Steve says below it is indeed a triumph of terraced design in how to fit the most outside garden seating into the smallest available space and when I staggered post game into it blinking from the internal darkness of the no natural light Sin Bin, every nook and cranny, ledge table and chair was being utilised on this post Saturday lunchtime.
The three available beers on for my last visit were the usual London Pride, then Sharps Atlantic and a very quaffable Trumans Swift.
The Faltering Fallback is a good pub for the Rugby and it’s a good pub for when the suns out in Finsbury Park. And when the two collide, it’s a really good pub.

On 31st May 2018 - rating: 8

Bucking Fastard left this review about Faltering Fullback

A decent looking pub with a front door at it's apex,the name refers to rugby rather than football.The front door leads to the tap room full of ephemera with a horseshoe shaped bar and a few tables and chairs,it can get cramped around the bar when busy due to regulars blocking on bar stools.The three handpumps here were serving London Pride,Sharp's Atlantic and Truman's Swift (fair condition) .There were a few keg taps,but not much out of the ordinary.
There are two wings ,the left side with some wood panelling but no windows,while to the right through a door way is a back bar with it's own servery and an ornate bar back.A lot of original features remain,and I enjoyed the authentic feel.At the rear on this side is a vast back room called The Sin Bin and this is where televised sport will be shown on a drop down screen,while a pool table operates when the sport isn't on.There is also a small flatscreen in the tap room,screening the same event.The Sin Bin has a high ceiling,very basic and extremely noisy when busy.
The pub is popular with young drinkers and bouncers were searching bags and making sure of good behaviour on my Saturday evening visit.Go at a quieter time if you want to enjoy the decent interior .Although the ale range was pedestrian it's a lot better than many pubs this close to Finsbury Park.This is my favourite in the area.

On 15th April 2018 - rating: 7
[User has posted 2086 recommendations about 2086 pubs]

Rex Rattus left this review about Faltering Fullback

There were a couple of ales on – London Pride, and Truman’s Swallow and Swift (£1.80 a half). There was no sign of food or menus when I was in on Saturday afternoon.

Judging by the external signage, this was apparently originally a Courage pub called the Sir Walter Scott. The exterior is also now almost completely covered in ivy (plus a few flowers) that is encroaching on the windows thus making it a bit gloomier than it ought to be. The interior is unchanged since the previous reviewer’s visit. The front of the pub is a wedg e shaped bar, still with all manner of stuff hanging from the ceiling – such aspush bikes, model aeroplanes, a washboard, a birdcage, and what looked like didgeridoo! There are only tall tables and tall stool in this bar, but behind here is another room with some standard tables and chairs. This in turn leads to a large room at the back called the “sin bin” – presumably a sporting reference. This room is what I would guess is regarded as the sport room as it had the pool table, and maybe there was a dartboard lurking in the shadows (it was mightily gloomy in here – daylight could be a major distraction) but I didn’t see it.

There was no sport on when I was in on Saturday afternoon, but I’m certain sport is still a major player here, judging by the scarves hanging from the ceiling as well as other sporting memorabilia around the place. It’s fairly shabby in a comfortable sort of way, and I wouldn’t mind dropping in here again if I was in the area.

On 4th August 2013 - rating: 7

Steve C left this review about Faltering Fullback

As the name would suggest this pub is the place to go and watch the rugby in the area and fortunately for me my recent visit coincided with a Six Nations afternoon match. The pub was heaving with a boisterous yet harmless crowd and there was a great atmosphere, I just wished that I could have stayed longer to watch the England game.

The main pub area is split into three sections with the main bar area at the front of the pub. There are all kinds of strange objects hanging from the ceiling including old bikes, bird cages, old telephones, a Victorian looking child’s toy pram and I also spotted a trumpet. This area was heaving with people watching the game on the TV up in the corner of the pub. To the left of this bar there is a small seating area and to the right there is a public bar which leads to a very big room at the rear which was packed with more people watching the game on another screen. The door at the rear of this room leads to a courtyard that seems nothing special at first glance, but I have to say that it is the most impressive terracing I have seen and I think that whoever designed it has utilised all of the space provided perfectly.

There are three hand pumps in the public bar and I think that there is also another in the front bar, but only Pride was on one pump and the others didn’t look like they were ever used. Staropramen, Leffe and Hoegarden were also available alongside a selection of standard draught products from which I had a decent pint of Guinness from a friendly barmaid.

The inclusion of only Pride will put some people off and I have to admit that I’m a little surprised as the rugby crowd are well known for their love of ale, but I would still return if in the area.

On 26th March 2010 - rating: 8