Beer of the Week (w/e 10th November 2019) with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

E1
E1 6PJ
Phone: 02073752905

Moby Duck left this review about The Crown and Shuttle

A nice feel about this pub, divided into two rooms with opened up doorways, exposed brick and wooden flooring throughout. There are six handpulls providing six ales in all , three in each section so worth checking all out before you buy, all available beers are though clearly displayed on chalkboards in each room,the choice on my visit was Anspach + Hobday Belgian Pale Ale (very nice), Sambrooks Scrumdown,Purity Mad Goose, Redemption Fellowship, Harbour Cornish Bitter and Tiny Rebel Hank.The crowd was predominantly in the 20's and 30's age group, many taking advantage of the large beer garden. I quite liked it here and didn't feel out of place, even if maybe I was, it turned out better than I initially expected.

On 24th March 2019 - rating: 7

custodian 42 left this review about The Crown and Shuttle

Decent enough place with one long room leading to outside seating. Bar to right with ales marked up on the wall. Six hand pumps including Redemption Big Chief IPA @ 5.5% ABV. Would revisit.

On 1st September 2017 - rating: 6

john gray left this review about The Crown and Shuttle

Busy pub but fast friendly service.Nice interior.About 5 cask beers on inc London Fields -love not war and my Purity -bunny hops.

On 11th March 2017 - rating: 6

Steve of N21 left this review about The Crown and Shuttle

I was slightly concerned that I would be seriously underdressed by not sporting serious facial hair when we allowed one of the sons of our London visit circle to pick the pub for the month’s meetup and the Crown and Shuttle came out the hat.
Fortunately I needn’t have worried as the early after work crowd was a good mixture of normal after work types of all ages interspersed with the local Hipsters. The front bar section in which we stayed all evening had Hackney Golden Ale, Redemption Fellowship and Trumans Runner on. I only went through to the back bar to use the toilets and wasn’t really paying attention and my remembrances are not good enough to state if the pumps on the back bar had anything different on, but as others have said its best to take a look at the chalk board to make sure you don’t miss any of the craft or cask offerings that could be on across the two bars.
Also can’t better PSM’s description of the distressed exterior except to say I had to laugh that stained glassed fan light windows similar to those I chucked onto a skip when I had PVC double glazing fitted a few years back were being used as a wall art installation. Oh if only I’d had a crystal ball back then.
Yes it’s a bit of a noisy barn when busy, like it was on this Thursday after work session. But what I really liked about this place in contrast with the city pubs a short distance away around Liverpool Street was that whereas those tend to empty out after 8.00PM and lose atmosphere, this one seems to attract the later evening crowd as well and waves of different demographics kept arriving throughout the evening keeping the buzz about the place.

On 1st March 2017 - rating: 7

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Crown And Shuttle

A very good PSM review nails the detail,my visit was on a Friday after work and the pub was rammed,and the music was earsplitting.The exposed brickwork and lack of lighting gave the interior a gothic feel,and the large rear garden terrace was even more packed than the pub interior.
There is a chalk board at the front of the pub listing the 6 real ales,but the longer list of keg beers and ciders was much less distinct in the gloom and difficult to read,although I noticed several Siren Craft and Meantime taps.The handpumps themselves are in two banks of 3 at either extremety
of the bar,so fetching your selection may take the overworked barstaff a while.On my trip the selection was Hammerton N1,Five points Pale,Sambrooks Scrumdown,Truman Swift,Redemption Big Chief and a very decent London Fields Love not War.The GBG listing seemed deserved.
Very popular with the young and hip,it may be better to arrive at a less hectic time if you want to savour the interior and save yourself from ear ache.However,I enjoyed my brief stay on a crawl around this part of town.

On 18th February 2017 - rating: 7
[User has posted 2015 recommendations about 2015 pubs]

. Wittenden left this review about The Crown And Shuttle

An ornate gabled frontage, guarded,bizarrely at tea time on a damp July Saturday, by security staff:a first in my experience. Inside, Steptoe and Son became distressed. I can't really improve on Pub SignMan's description below: Hogarthian springs to mind.
Being in the heartland of hipsterdom, craft beer was well represented,including a burnished copper contraption that dispensed some form of lager.more conventionally, a range of handpumps offered a decent range of cask beers from London and around. We enjoyed a Truman's Zephyr and Hammerton N1,both new to me, and both fashionably hazy.
Even at this early hour, the place was humming,but we managed to find seats under some scaffolding in the rear garden and realised we were some forty years older than the bright young things surrounding us.
Yes, I really liked this place,albeit a long way from the village pubs that I usually enjoy. Bit damn pricey and noisy, though.

On 1st November 2016 - no rating submitted

Pub SignMan left this review about The Crown And Shuttle

This former Truman's pub, with a great location on Shoreditch High Street, close to the station of the same name, had been closed for a remarkable twelve years before being reopened by a local pub company who also operate the nearby Water Poet. The pub is split into two separate bars, both of which are serviced by the same long servery running down the right hand wall. The front half sees a bare boarded room with a tongue and groove bar counter, the top of which is heavily scratched and chipped, plus a bare brick bar back covered in part by various blackboards listing the beer range. A mix of standard tables and chairs and some long flimsy looking benches can be found to the left under similar bare brick walls with blackboards detailing the pub's menu and some odd bits of art made from small panes of stained glass. A large TV screen to the rear of this section remained turned off throughout my visit. A rear wall with a couple of openings masks the rear section of the room, which is also bare boarded and has the same battered looking bar counter running down the right wall. I counted one sofa and two tables with standard chairs here, with most punters happy to stand around near the bar. Above is a sloping roof with skylights and over to the left I noticed a mysterious hatch with some peep-holes which I was tempted to look through. A few more weird bits of art were hung on show along with some mirrors, but again the exposed brickwork dominated. To the rear there is a surprisingly large decked garden, partly covered and full of picnic benches and garden furniture, as well as boasting a kitchen in the shape of an open sided truck, a small, ale-free bar, lots of heating lamps, a mezzanine level lit by dim bulbs and an overwhelming smell of grilled meat. There was pumping music playing throughout the pub, but the garden was a lot more peaceful, despite it being completely packed out there, with each space getting notably busier the further back into the pub you moved.
Handpulls are split between the front and rear bars, so be sure to check both or consult the blackboards before ordering. Ale options on this visit were Thornbridge Jaipur, Five Points Pale, Hackney Golden Ale and Porter, Dark Star Partridge and Redemption Fellowship. Keg beers included brews from Blue Point, Fullers and Hackney plus Orchard Pig ciders and the rear room had one of those huge Meantime tanks full of supposedly brewery fresh beer. I had a good pint of the Hackney Golden Ale, served by a slightly surly barman.
This is one of those pubs that got better the longer I spent there. I found the front room pretty uninspiring, but the lively rear room and lovely garden were far better and I was definitely warming to the place by the time I left. The loud music on a mid-week evening was a bit off-putting, but a good beer range makes this somewhere worth popping into, perhaps at a quieter time of day.

On 25th May 2016 - rating: 7

Danny O'Revey left this review about The Crown And Shuttle

Stripped back hipster bar, eclectic, bare brick, various unnecessary small stained glass framed in panes on the wall, if you can get over the feel for growing a beard, and the staff being a little dozey, it actually an ok feel & has 6 real ales. There is a cocktail lounge upstairs.

On 28th January 2016 - rating: 8

Tris C left this review about The Crown & Shuttle

EDITED:

I've deducted 4 points from my previous review as this pub conducts mandatory bag searches. This is ostensibly a respectable neighbourhood pub not a dodgy nightclub. Bag checks are a gross invasion of privacy.

14-5-2013:

This pub has just reopened having been boarded up for an incredible 12 years. Externally the pub is painted grey with the name fascia painted bottle green with the letters picked out in gold; along with the stepped gable it is very pretty. Internally the pub is very distressed - deliberately so. Walls are rough hewn bare brick, the floor is of rough, probably original, floorboards. Adorning the walls are remnants of stained and leaded windows, perhaps reclaimed from the original pub. Furniture is traditional and eclectic.

The pub is quite deep and the side bar runs almost the entire length. Lighting is provided by both bare bulbs on long flexes and ceiling lamps with black enamelled shades. To the rear is a surprisingly large and sunny beer garden. There's a gastro menu which reads well and I think eating is at table, i.e. no dedicated eating area.

Great service was provided by a very friendly barmaid. Aside from premium lagers and cider, ales on offer include several from the Meantime brewery, Hoxton stout, Truman's Runner, Doom Bar, Redemption's Urban Dusk, Hackney brewery's Golden Ale and Adnam's Explorer. Pricing was surprisingly reasonable considering the pub's location between the wealth of the City and the gentrification of Shoreditch.

One minor complaint: the bar stools are made of pressed steel with a metal rim running around the top - it's like sitting on a razor blade. That aside, I would certainly go out of my way to visit this pub if vaguely in the area, though I suspect that it's probably heaving on a Friday or Saturday night.

On 26th August 2013 - rating: 4

Rex Rattus left this review about The Crown & Shuttle

They had six ales on handpump when I visited on Saturday lunchtime – the same as the previous reviewer found, except that I didn’t see the Hoxton Stout but they did have Thornbridge Brother Rabbit. The menu does have the cask ales listed. A word of caution though in case like me you march straight up to the bar without consulting menus first – the cask ales are on two banks of three handpumps with the first bank readily spotted as you enter, but with the second bank down at the far end of the long bar counter. I have to say that I didn’t consider the prices reasonable, based on having to pay £2.20 for a half of Truman’s Runner. It would be astonishing if they did pub grub in somewhere like this. The so-called “big meals” on the menu come “served in a homemade wheat beer & poppy poppy seed flat bread”. Prices range from £6.50 to £8 for such things as “crispy Loomswood duck, watercress, raspberry and beetroot”. I’m not sure what that would look like, as I didn’t make this my lunch stop.

The exterior looks quite enticing, but the interior’s been completely trashed. Whatever was on the walls – probably wooden panelling – has been removed at some stage leaving just exposed brickwork. There are some nice bits of furniture, such as an ornate carved wood sideboard, and plenty of attractive high backed chairs coupled with normal wooden tables. There’s virtually no decor on the walls – just a few remnants of old leaded light windows hung there, as already speculated possibly from this pub. I suppose the idea is that the exposed brickwork itself is seen as interesting enough. I didn’t see any TVs or fruit machines, and there was some music playing but I didn’t find it too intrusive.

The room stretches back, through brick archways of course, into another room that looks as if it is a later addition to the pub. The furnishings in this room look more basic, including wooden benches and some cheap looking plastic chairs. This room’s roof is sloping, and includes some skylights providing some welcome natural light. This room leads out to a fairly large garden, which is something of a luxury so close to the centre of London.

This is a thoroughly madeover pub, with no original features that I could see. Although it’s good to see a long-closed pub brought back to life, this isn’t really my sort of place, and I found the expensive beer – expensive even by London gastropub prices – somewhat offputting.

On 20th May 2013 - rating: 5