Yet another list with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

E3
E3 5JL
Phone: 02086171219

Tris C left this review about The Albert

The Prince Albert as it originally was, dates from the mid-19th century, but I suspect the current incarnation is an interwar-years rebuild.
The pub has recently been acquired by the Craft Union chain, which seems to specialise in stewarding extremely basic pubs and this is no exception. I had thought that this was going to be an Irish pub, but I didn’t get that impression, not least because of the Cross of St. George flag (with West Ham adornments) to the rear wall. It’s a resolutely locals’ pub - probably unchanged since Alan's review - and not the locals to be found at the Young Prince over the road either. It was quite dark inside, much light coming from football on the TV. It’s a very blokey pub indeed, though a couple of women were spotted. Feeling somewhat uncomfortable, I stood at the bar waiting to be served by the barman, who I think was ignoring me, certainly attending to regulars. The Neanderthal standing next to me at the bar let out a prolonged and very noisy belch. I wasn’t sure if this is standard behaviour in here – wouldn’t surprise me – or whether it was a warning, but either way, I’d had enough and beat a speedy retreat.
If you want something more representative of the area, there are good locals’ boozers in E3, such as the Little Driver, Eleanor Arms, Palm Tree, Green Goose and aforementioned Young Prince.

On 15th April 2022 - rating: 2

Rex Rattus left this review about The Albert

There's still no real ale here, and no sign of any food when I dropped at Wednesday lunchtime.

This is a simple bare-boarded pub. There's a bit of exposed brickwork about the place, and had a bit of the feel of an Irish pub about it, although there's no Gaelic or other pseudo Irish paraphernalia that I saw. Seating is mainly banquettes with normal tables, and I did see a large barrel doing duty as a tall table with its attendant tall stools. There are shelves above the bar counter and at the tops of the walls bearing jugs and the like. There was a TV on showing the racing, and this seemed to be the focus of interest in the pub.

This pubs OK without being anything special. A real ale would be a dramatic improvement. Although it was comfortable and friendly enough, I doubt whether I'll visit again.

On 6th September 2015 - rating: 5

Alan Winfield left this review about The Albert

The Albert is situated at the end or start of the roman road shopping area,this road once had lots of pubs,all now closed including a Spoons,the pub looks a bit different to most pubs in this area of East London
Once inside there was an L shaped room with the bar facing,the seating was mainly normal tables and chairs,but there was a bench seat to the left,there was a darts board to the right,plus two TVs one to the rear left the other to the far right.
There were no real ales on the bar,i had a drink of John Smiths smooth crap which it was,the other keg bitter was Flowers bitter.
The pub was quite busy with locals,who seemed a bit rough and ready.
I was happy enough drinking in this pub,just a shame there were no real ales on here.

Pub visited 19/2/2014