Pub Of The Month - November 2021 with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

W3 6LG
Phone: 02089920234

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

john gray left this review about The Windmill

Old style pub looking at it from outside but a modern bar to the front and a more traditional bar to the rear through a separate street door.Deviod of customers so a quick half of Chieftan in the front bar was sufficient.

On 11th October 2019 - rating: 6

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Windmill

Traditional-looking corner pub, albeit repurposed for pool and darts in the smaller but quite modern-looking front bar but retaining the general seating in the much larger but plainer rear room (which also has small raised areas on three sides and a number of sports TVs). Hogs Back TEA (£3.50) available from one of the pair of handpumps on each counter.

On 15th December 2018 - rating: 6

Rex Rattus left this review about The Windmill

Like the previous reviewer, we too walked through the corner door on the main road which seemed like the main entrance. Like him, this took us into what is obviously the old public bar. This room contained a couple of pool tables, a couple of dartboards, and a handful of pine effect tables. This pub was obviously fitted out in a 70s style brewer's rustic, with false posts on the walls, but all now painted a dull green. It looks a bit tatty to be honest, but there again it is the public bar. After a while we chatted to the landlord who kindly took us through the servery to the main saloon/lounge at the back. This room can't usually be accessed from the public bar - it has its own entrance in Grove Road.

The saloon/lounge is obviously the more comfortable, and not just because it was warmer! It's carpetted, furnished with normal tables and chairs and just felt a more relaxing place to have a drink. We had halves of Sharp's Atlantic (£2 a half), and the other ales on were Hogsback TEA and something else less interesting - GKIPA. We had a lengthy chat with the landlord who kindly gave us generous tasters of the TEA, and a "craft beer" he recommended called Franciscan Well Chieftan IPA, which is brewed in Cork but is either owned or perhaps distributed by Molson/Coors. I don't normally bother with the two-foot high shiny fonts you see blighting most bar counters, but this hoppy beer was actually quite good. I guess with Molson/Coors behind it we'll be seeing it more often.

We found this to be a friendly and welcoming pub, although it has to be said that there are other pubs in Acton with better ale selections.

On 13th December 2015 - rating: 6

Steve C left this review about The Windmill

I walked into the public bar and waited for a few minutes for some service and was about to give up when one of the two old gentlemen sitting down told me to knock on the bar to get the barmaids attention. They explained that there was another bar, so as I wasn't going to play on the pool table I decided to walk around and try my luck in the other bar. As I entered I realised that this wasn't the poky little one bar old man's boozer that I thought it was and that it was a large pub with plasmas and dance music that is open until 1am at the weekends.

When I did eventually find her the barmaid was very nice. Pride and Trafalgar were the ale offerings, but the Trafalgar was on the turn. Standard lagers were also available along with Hoegarden and Tyskie.

I'm not sure that I'd go out of my way to drink here, but it's always handy to know a pub that is open late at the weekends.

On 9th March 2009 - rating: 6