Pub Of The Month - July 2020 with ROBCamra on the Pub Forum

W4 1PU
Phone: 02089954392

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

john gray left this review about The Roebuck

A decent enough pub but lacking any character.Yep Adnams -Gunhill was on but I doubt any pub could make this a great beer.

On 9th November 2013 - rating: 6

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Roebuck

Upmarket madeover pub, partially opened out to form a large staple-shaped layout. This comprises the main bar at the front, a smaller seating area with separate counter at the side and the large rear dining room. Restrained gastro-pub decor. Very busy on a pre-Christmas Friday evening. Medium background music. Three of the four handpumps were operational, offering Doom Bar, Cornish Coaster and Adnams Gunhill (£3.75).

On 19th January 2013 - rating: 6

hondo . left this review about The Roebuck

A bar restaurant interior as described below. 4 real ales.

On 15th March 2012 - no rating submitted

Rex Rattus left this review about The Roebuck

I was at a bit surprised to find a reasonable ale selection in a pub that clearly has been given the gastro madeover look. Adnam’s Gunhill was on offer, as well as three Sharp’s ales – Doom Bar (obviously), Cornish Coaster, and Red Ale. The exterior of the pub with a roebuck in relief on the gable marks it as a Victorian era pub. Inside we have a depressingly familiar madeover pub, with all the traditional features of a gastropub. The main bar area is populated with a varied selection of different chairs, normal but fairly old tables, and some sofas on the left. At the back on the right there is a separate dining room. There are wine racks embedded in the bar back, and large glass jars of nuts and the like on the bar counter.
There were no menus on the tables in the bar area when I arrived at 3.30 PM on Friday, although I suppose food might still have been available in the dining room. However, there was a blackboard behind the bar displaying a bar snacks menu, advertising such delights as quail scotch eggs (£1.25), hand cut chips (£3.25), and a cheese selection for £18. The selection would have to be pretty extensive to warrant shelling out £18 for it. But I didn’t sample the food so can’t comment on the quality.
This is a typically madeover minimally decorated gastropub. But on the plus side it does have a separate area for diners leaving the main bar area available for drinkers, although I’m sure you could eat in this area if you really wanted to. The ale was OK so it also has that as a plus point. But it’s not my favourite style of pub, although others would presumably appreciate the gastropub atmosphere, so good luck to them.

On 5th November 2011 - rating: 5

Steve C left this review about The Roebuck

Being a fan of the more traditional pub I shouldn't have really liked this gastro type pub, but I did. The barmaid was very nice and a gentleman allowed me to be served before him as I was only ordering 1 drink (I honestly can't remember the time that happened). There was an extensive selection of lagers accompanying the Wells Eagle, Regatta and Bombadier.

I liked the layout with the bar area at the front and then a dining area leading onto a beer garden. I did chuckle to myself when I read the bar food menu and found the first item to be bread and butter.

On 24th April 2008 - rating: 6