Yet another list with Pangolin on the Pub Forum

Phone: 02087890222

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Chris 87 left this review about The Bricklayers Arms

I've tried to visit here before, usually on days when Fulham FC are playing (not a smart move admittedly) so I was pleased to finally get around to it when it was less busy. Given the array of Timothy Taylor beers on you'd be forgiven for thinking this was owned by the brewery, but the selection of guests would suggest otherwise. Ram Tam and Best Bitter (£3.20) were in good condition and that is from someone who has previously been rather underwhelmed by TT output.

The pub itself is a pleasantly utilitarian affair with large wooden tables, a working fireplace and an outdoor smoking area which I took great pleasure in sitting in (in March!). There are various press cuttings and the like hung up on the wall which paint a picture of a proper traditional pub that inspires a loyal following. Definitely one to look out for in the area.

On 28th March 2010 - rating: 9

Quinno _ left this review about The Bricklayers Arms

Sought this one out specially after hearing the hype surrounding it from elsewhere and the awards being thrown its way from the local CAMRA branch. This is a freehouse selling Tim Taylor beers alongside the odd guest or two (Sambrooks Wandle on my visit). Situated up a small backstreet behind a local authority housing block, it was apparently a former boat storage building (hence the long narrow interior I suppose?) and was slated for demolition a number of years ago. The interior seemed a little stark to me, with wooden flooring, scrubbed wooden furniture and a combination of wood panelled and bare-brick walls, however the black and white prints of old Putney were interesting. It was a cold and damp day outside so I settled myself by a welcome fire, though I noticed the pub was still quite cold). The place could have done with a bit more light lift the drab grey afternoon atmosphere too. After settling down I found that I wasn’t overly enamoured with either of my two halves. They weren’t bad but weren’t anywhere near as good as those served up in the Red Lion in Isleworth (my other pub visit earlier that day). The also much-praised friendly welcome was absent, just a young female seemingly going through the motions. There were only four other punters.

For such a well-anointed pub I trudged back out into the bleak late afternoon feeling mighty disappointed. I really hope I caught it on a bad day. Overall it isn’t a bad little place but I was expecting so much more.

On 29th November 2009 - rating: 6

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Bricklayers Arms

Traditional-looking from the outside, but more modern than I expected once inside. Pleasant, if small, patio/beer garden/smoking area. TT Ram Tam might usually be considered a 'winter warmer', but it went down well on a hot summer evening. Nice, relaxed atmosphere and thoroughly recommended.

On 5th August 2009 - rating: 9

train man left this review about The Bricklayers Arms

Closed yesterday for 'emergency repairs'? Check before travelling.

22 January 2008
Still hit & miss re selection on offer, just Landlord, Golden Best & RamTam today, no guests. Landlord was very good, but £3!

8 November 2007
Yesterday's visit was much more like it for beer choice - 4 TTs, incl RamTam, plus Downton Mad Hare & Brewster's Belle de Jour (although I wasn't keen on the latter). Also listed in the gents (but oddly nowhere else in the pub) was the forthcoming range of guests – incl 4 from RCH brewery, 2 from Butts Organic, as well as Daleside Porter & Museum White Shield. Sounds good to me; rating rectified to a comfortable 8.

1 November 2007
A very good pub but disappointing beer selection on my last two visits, with last week only 3 and yesterday only 2 pumps in action from a possible 10 (Landlord & ‘Pumpkin' ale); hardly a justification of Camra's London 'pub of the year'!

On 13th November 2008 - rating: 7

john mcgraw left this review about The Bricklayers Arms

A pub for all reasons.Full range of Timothy Taylor beers plus 4 guests.A plain and simple pub that has won many CAMRA awards.A change from the yuppie pubs of the High Street

On 17th January 2008 - rating: 10
[User has posted 2038 recommendations about 2019 pubs]

Malden man left this review about The Bricklayers Arms

A fine backstreet pub, unusual for the area, the full range of Tim Taylor's beers plus 3 guests, Bath Brewery Gem and Barnstormer plus Downton's Chocolate orange....didn't try this as it doesn't sound like my cuppa. Warm, convivial and friendly, large wooden tables, huge Sunday roasts, in all a cosy spot for a leisurely Sunday afternoon with the papers. I assume its different when Fulham are at home though. Nice outside area too for the warmer months.

On 16th January 2008 - rating: 8

Steve Thorpe left this review about The Bricklayers Arms

The best pub I've found in London! Tucked off the main drag, the gem of a freehouse stocks the FULL Tim Taylors range!! If it wasn't for the price of the beers, you could be mistaken in thinking you were in West Yorkshire!

On 10th June 2007 - no rating submitted