Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries with hondo on the Pub Forum

SE1 4JU
Phone: 02073577173

Page: 1 2 3

Will Larter left this review about The Royal Oak

My first visit to this pub since I have been writing reviews for this site, and I was glad of the opportunity. Even more pleased to find that it was as good as, if not better than, my incomplete memory of the place. A fine building in London brick, the corner of which is not a right angle, and it looks like there might have been a door there, where now is a large window. We entered by the door on Tabard Street, but I can remember on my previous visit entering from Nebraska Street. Walking through that part of the pub to reach the toilets, it looked to me like this would have once been an off-sales. I was expecting this fine interior to have been rewarded with an appearance on Camra's list of historic pub interiors, but perhaps it has been messed around just a little too much.

On the bar were four hand pumps with a range of Harveys beers from Lewes in East Sussex. I've had a number of poor drinks of their famous Sussex Best Bitter in recent years, so I swerved that and went for the Old Ale, which was in superb condition. My companion had the mild, which he also expressed enthusiasm for, so we stayed for a second drink and went for the Sussex Best, which was as good as the other two beers and worthy of this great traditional bitter's reputation. If there were only some way of arranging for the people who had been responsible for the poorly kept examples of this beer that I have suffered to visit this pub, they would hang their heads in shame.

On 23rd February 2020 - rating: 9

Moby Duck left this review about The Royal Oak

Very surprised to find out I hadn't reviewed this pub before, having visited it a good number of times over the last 15 years or so. It remains as described in the previous reviews as a solid traditional pub with extremely well kept beer, the food is decent as well. I had both the Dark Mild and Old Ale from Harveys on yesterdays visit, good value at £4.00 a pint given the location.

On 3rd November 2019 - rating: 9

Brainy Pool left this review about The Royal Oak

this was the best pub I visited in London across two days. though it was a little more foody than I expected. it’s well worth seeking out and just a short walk from Borough tube station. Good beer at reasonable central London prices and the Armada is a delicious pint. Old boys chatting away around an ornate bar. I could have spent a while here.

On 2nd February 2019 - rating: 8

Steve of N21 left this review about The Royal Oak

I don’t get south of the river often but also reacquainted myself with this fine pub last week. As Quinno says nothing really changes here and all the better for it. The Harveys Mild was on fine form, the Fullers beer was HSB on this occasion (so I guess a small change) and there was actually another non Harveys guest on, but that was in the back bar and as we stayed in the front of the Harveys Brews I didn’t check out what it was. A timeless classic and being well utilised on this early evening visit. No need to change my original rating.

Original Review 21st June 2009
Excellent back street traditional corner boozer which is a little difficult to search out but well worth the hunt. And a rare Harveys outlet to boot.
Traditional old style public and saloon bar layout either side of a central serving area. The public is plain but lighter and airier than the saloon bar, having light coloured walls above wood panelling and wooden seating. Whereas the saloon has the more comfy chairs but with dark burgundy flock wall paper.
The full range of Harveys ales with both Light and dark Milds, Pale Ale and Sussex best through to the Porter and Armanda. These were priced at £2.80 for the Milds , through to £3.40 for the Porter and £3.50 for the Armada.
I tried both milds and they were excellent, and at 3% the Dark Mild proves you don't need a high abv to get flavour.
Also full range of Harvey's Ciders seemed to be available as well…

On 23rd July 2018 - rating: 9

Quinno _ left this review about The Royal Oak

Things seem to tick over here with time being a mere concept rather than a reality. The beer is still Harveys (with Pride on as an interloper) and the quality is still high. If you are down in London for an all-dayer, this is a must-visit.

June 2014
Long-overdue revisit and little change since 2009, thankfully. Eight pumps, four on each bar with different ales, though a lack of cross-bar advertising meant I didn’t realise this until I went up for second drink and ordered a MILD, prompting the barman to point out that there were actually two MILDS available. In the end I counted six Harvey's (including two seasonals) plus Fullers HSB (retailing at four quid!) and Thatchers Heritage cider. My Pale and seasonal Mild were both in good form. Noticed that the lesser-visited rear lounge has some china ornaments. No music or darts here, just a simple honest drinking den. I like. Rated 9

August 2009
An enduring classic south of the river, this is a Harveys (ex-Courage) street corner outlet. It’s a Victorian back-street boozer design - the interior is made up of two bars either side of a central server and dividing door; in between is a small off-sales area. There’s a lot of high ceilings and etched glasswork in evidence, along with dark varnished panelling and basic furnishings. Nice plasterwork cornices and light settings if you look upwards. There are no TV's, fruit machines or music, it’s all very traditional. There are usually five Harveys ales available in good nick, alongside a Fullers beer (part of the deal regarding the Lewes Arms saga a few years back). Food is available and it’s reportedly of high quality – substantial and traditional. It perhaps lacks a little ethereal something for me to make it a classic, but it’s certainly well-worth a call if you like good beer and traditional pubs. Rated 8

On 7th October 2017 - rating: 9

Blackthorn _ left this review about The Royal Oak

A traditional, street corner boozer in what appears to be a residential part of town slightly off the tourist trail, this pub is unlikely to have changed much for decades even down to the fact that they still have net curtains hung up in the windows – not something you see very often these days!

Internally it’s actually one large, open plan room, although the woodwork that forms part of the central bar is effectively a partition dividing it in to two. Decor wise it’s very traditional with wooden boards and a large rug on the floor, cream paintwork on the upper part of the walls and dark wood panelling below. The rear room looked to be broadly similar, although perhaps a little cosier with maroon paintwork. I understand that The Telegraph rated it one of the top ten pubs in the UK a couple of years back, so it was surprising how quiet it was on our recent Tuesday evening visit.

Food wise, the menu offered a decent election of “pub grub” dishes such as fish & chips, burger, scampi & chips, steak & ale pie, etc., and these were mostly priced around a tenner. A specials board offered a few slightly more up-market dishes, although certainly nothing pretentious or gastro. Our ham, egg & chips was a decent portion with four slices of ham, plenty of chips and a couple of eggs, although on the downside the ham seemed like it was out of a packet and the egg yolks were solid. Nonetheless though, a decent enough dish and good value.

Beers on tap were all from the Harvey’s stable with their Mild, Pale, Best, Old and Armada. The solitary cider was Symond’s Founders Reserve although it looked as though a pump for Thacther’s Heritage had run out – a shame, as that’s a rare find around these parts and would have gone down a treat.

On 3rd April 2017 - rating: 6

Aqualung . left this review about The Royal Oak

This was a Courage pub before Harvey's took it over something like twenty years ago. As noted many times below it's an unspoilt two room pub with the servery bridging the two rooms. There is an upstairs function / dining room.
There are hand pumps in both bars but I think on the day there were just four Harvey's beer on. I went for their Christmas Ale which was in good nick but at six quid a pint silly money even for a 7.5% beer.
This was my favourite of the three Harvey's London pubs and has been a GBG regular since after it first opened as one of their houses.
It's a good place but like the vast majority of pubs in London and the South let down by needlessly high prices.

On 27th December 2016 - rating: 8

hondo . left this review about The Royal Oak

Harveys pub that still retains it's tiled exterior. 2 roomed old style interior with the central bar serving the different sections. Might take a bit of finding but worth the effort.

On 1st November 2016 - no rating submitted

Ian Mapp left this review about The Royal Oak

Lovely unspoiled Victorian pub that you need to go out of way to find.

Decent beers from Harvey's but go for the experience.

Some photos at my blog - http://bit.ly/2cYVT2P

On 18th September 2016 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Royal Oak

As you can see from my rating, I really liked this traditional, friendly pub. The pub was quiet on our early doors Saturday afternoon visit. This was to our advantage as the few customers that were here, were all friendly and chatty and they all had great respect and interest in the pub.
The barman also gave us a look at the upstairs dining room, which hosted a twenty seated dining table, in a traditionally decorated Victorian room.
Downstairs I especially admired the original mahogany bar, with its curved shaped detailed bar section and pot shelf. Ale wise, there were six Harvey beers on, so I settled on the Sussex Pale Ale.

On 20th July 2015 - rating: 10