Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade? with NickDavies on the Pub Forum

Phone: 02074073962

Pub Type

Punch Taverns

Steve of N21 left this review about The Gladstone Arms

The ‘Glad’ as it likes to be known, has gone through a bit of an up and down time since the last review, or to be precise down and now up. Late in 2015 it was in serious danger of being bulldozed and replaced by more faceless blocks of flats, but thankfully a vigorous campaign by the locals, both residents and CAMRA saved it and got it listed as an Asset of Community Value. It then shut for an internal refurb to open in April last year with a more contemporary décor and beer choice which if my experience from last night was anything to go by is certainly attracting the millennial audience.
It’s so long since I was last in this one that I cannot really remember what it was like, but the single room downstairs bar seems a lot lighter (perhaps due to a light blue and white paint job) and the bar is still a small affair tucked away on the left as you enter the main Lant Street entrance. And the upstairs lounge appears more posh and comfortable from what I remember also. There is still a focus on music with a small stage section opposite the bar in the downstairs room but now it’s more aligned to the Millennial craft and gin drinking audience instead of aging beer swilling rockers and there was a very good acoustic two piece going through several blues renditions last night. I believe there are regular live music sessions on Thursday Friday and Saturday.
On the beer front there are still three real ale pumps on the front of the bar but what is different is the back of the bar which now has a craft tap wall of 10 beer taps and shelves of spirits including several artisan gins. On the craft front the majority seemed to be from London brewers in the shape of Meantime, Hammerton Brewery, Brixton Brewery, Gipsy Hill Brewery and the London Beer Factory. The three ales were Hippo Pale Ale from Animal Brewing (the microbrewery of XT), West Berkshire Breweries Maharaja IPA and Oakham’s Once to Yourself and the Oakham golden ale was so good we stayed on it whilst we were here.
The pub was being well utilised on this Thursday evening with a decent crowd outside and inside in both the main bar and upstairs lounge. And a few had even made it up to the very small roof terrace.
With a lot of pubs on the way down and disappearing it was really good to find the Glad clearly on the way up.

On 20th July 2018 - rating: 8

Alan Winfield left this review about The Gladstone Arms

The Gladstone Arms a decent looking side street pub that is close to Borough tube station.
Once inside there is a smallish single room with the bar on the left side,the room is bare boarded,the seating two pew seats and normal tables and chairs,there is also a piano to the rear right.
There were four real ales on the bar,i had a drink of Adnams bitter which was a nice drink,the other beers were Dark Star Pale Ale,St Austell Tribute and Doom Bar.
Background music was playing,food was also available with one customer having a nice looking meal.
I quite liked the laid back feel of this pub,one i could stay in for a few.

Pub visited 26/5/2015

On 26th May 2015 - rating: 7

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Gladstone Arms

Side street music pub, with a large mural proclaiming 'The Glad' on one wall visible from some distance. Small L-shaped bar with basic furniture and decor. Upstairs lounge (not visited). Mixed clientele, but a very relaxed atmosphere on both occasions that I have visited. Three real ales on handpump: Tribute, Castle Rock Black Gold and Enville Kasitra on my recent visit.

On 4th October 2013 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about The Gladstone Arms

There was a bit of a Cornish theme on the ale front, with pumps clipped for Sharp’s Doom Bar, and St Austell Tribute and Trelawny, but the Trelawny was declared to be off unfortunately, leaving Tribute as the beer of choice for me. All the tables had a “Pieminister menu” on them, with various pies at £5.95 (the same ones I buy in Tesco I suppose), plus £1.50 for mash and £1.25 for mushy peas. Personally I reckon that £8.70 is a bit over the top for a bought in pie with mash and peas, but if you’re hungry enough I suppose it’s worth it, and as shop bought pies go the Pieminister range is better than most.
The outside of the pub looks OK in the main, but judging by the large name at the back on the left it is apparently called “ The Glad”, coupled with a large caricature of a sinister looking fellow appearing more like Jack The Ripper than the distinguished politician after whom this pub is named. I know that Gladstone did engage in some nocturnal activities, but portraying him as JTR is a bit over the top. But not to worry, the interior of the pub has a certain charm. It’s a small one-room pub, which wouldn’t take many customers for it to be crowded. There were a couple of sofas with a low table, but otherwise there were just normal tables and chairs. There were no TVs, fruit machines or others of that ilk. The music being played was some classic soul – Solomon Burke, Wilson Pickett et al.
Other than a few coloured lights on the ceiling, the only lighting is provided by candles on the tables. At 4.0 PM it’s now getting too dark to see what I’m writing in my notebook, and my pen’s now run out. This must be a sign. I actually quite liked this pub, which I didn’t think I would when I went in as it seemed overly gloomy, and in fact I wasn’t even sure that it was open. It has a nice friendly laid back feel to it (might be different if it was crowded though) and I’d be happy to pay a return visit.

On 21st November 2011 - rating: 7

Nick Johnstone left this review about The Gladstone Arms

Slightly left wing and a whiff of something illegal in the air. Sat and did the Telegraph crossword in here one lunchtime unmolested.

On 29th April 2011 - rating: 5

Quinno _ left this review about The Gladstone Arms

'Boho' is just the right word for this place. The outside of the pub is pretty interesting what with the two big paintings of Gladstone glaring down at you, so it certainly stands out a bit amongst the hundreds of other pubs nearby.

The interior is surprisingly small with the aforementioned boho touches. Mrs Quinno's cup of tea was served in a trendy 'right-on' mug with some sort of left-leaning sentiment (I forget what) so don't take any Sun/Daily Hate Mail readers in here. So I was quite looking forward to my beer - there were two on (Black Sheep and Adnams, I think) but both were of questionable quality. Shame.

I want to like this place so I will try it again but have to admit I left disappointed by the beer experience. It isn't THAT hard to keep a decent beer if you actually understand what it is you're selling, especially given the high standards set elsewhere in the area.

On 18th February 2009 - rating: 5

Steve C left this review about The Gladstone Arms

Tribute and Doom Bar were available from the aging rocker barman during my visit and there was also a limited standard and premium draught selection. It is not the biggest place, but there was a good crowd in attendance with more old rocker types propping up the bar. This is a music pub that hosts live music nights and several music magazines can be found lying on the tables and the gents toilet is wallpapered with old song sheets.

Food is served and the chalk menu board is hung over a plasma screen that I'd imagine sees little action. There was some background music playing which I thought was good, but it is more in line with the tastes of fifty year olds.

I would recommend this place to others as it is very relaxed and there was no rush to evict anybody after last orders.

On 10th January 2009 - rating: 7