Autumn 2019 Shrewsbury Crawl Dates and Venues with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

SE11
SE11 4PP
Phone: 02077355122

moby duck left this review about The Brown Derby

Not a pub that really grabs your attention from the street with it's dark chocolate Brown painted and not overly large exterior, upon entering you find a long narrow extended room full of quirky objects of interest much as Rex describes it a few years ago, the old jukebox is still there and working also there is a mannequin clad in sequinned 70's disco garb with an American chopper style kids bike , a collection of multi-coloured plastic toadstools and on it goes, there were three cask beers on, one of which escapes my memory but I had By the Horns Stiff Upper Lip, the other beer was Twickenham Naked Ladies. The buzz was great in here, I loved the place.

On 8th March 2019 - rating: 8

Rex Rattus left this review about The Brown Derby

I wasn't expecting much before entering, but was pleasantly surprised to see four ales available - Wells Golden Cauldron; Redemption Pale Ale, Sharp's Atlantic; and Otter's Poppy Otter (£3.70 a pint). The latter was a new one on me - obviously seasonal - with 5p from every pint going to the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal. Obviously in those circumstances it would have been unpatriotic of me not to have a pint of Poppy Otter, and a great pint it was too, served in excellent condition. A lunchtime menu was available from 12.00 to 2.00 when I was in on Thursday lunchtime (called a brunch menu for some reason). Main courses are from £8.95 (for burger & chips) up to £12.95 for the steak. These food and drink prices seem reasonable enough to me.

I found this an interesting pub. The ale selection certainly interested me, as did the interior. The pub looks nothing from the outside but inside it's not bad at all. The ceilings are painted red, interspersed with black painted beams; the floor's bare-boarded; and furnishings are a mismatched ensemble of normal tales and chairs, with a bit of banquette seating down at the back. That all sounds a bit odd, but it works here somehow. It's a long thin room, having possibly been extended to the rear. There's all kinds of stuff around the place, such as a large globe in front of a small chesterfield; an ancient musket mounted on a board; an old juke box (seemingly awaiting repair when I was in); and an ancient gramaphone with an HMV style horn. But for me the most unusual thing was the fan arrangements on the ceiling with a couple of banks of paddles swaying back and forth seemingly operated by some sort of electric punka wallah. The oriental theme is countinued somewhat by parasols on display, as well as a Chinese lantern on a shelf. There was some music being played - a mixture of blues and rock - and I saw free wi-fi advertised.

I liked this pub quite a lot more than I thought I would before I walked in. The excellent pint of Poppy Otter probably helped.

On 8th November 2014 - rating: 7