How Will Pubs Open? with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

Phone: 02074824466

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Alan Winfield left this review about The Grafton

The Grafton is a decent looking corner pub painted in the usual London black colour outside.
Once inside there is a single room with a large bar in the middle area,the floor is bare boarded,the seating is normal tables and chairs.
There were four real ales on the bar,i had a drink of Sambrooks Wandle,which went down well,the other real ales were Purity Mad Goose,Hammerton N1 and one from Twickenham Brewery that i could not read my notes of.
Food was being served and the prices in the modern way of not putting a £ sign on them.
Background music was playing.
I was happy enough having a drink in this pub.

Pub visited 2/6/2017

On 7th August 2017 - rating: 7

Tris C left this review about The Grafton

I've passed this pub many times over the decades and it was a gloomy locals' boozer; no longer. It has recently undergone a very sympathetic makeover that preserves the feel of a traditional pub coupled with a contemporary twist. There's a large central bar with quite an impressive metal helical staircase up to further seating and a covered roof terrace. Lighting is moody without being overly dark and music was discreet. I don't know if my server was the same landlord who served Mr. Mapp, but I agree that he did look to be reasonably buff.
There's a large choice of wines, 9 real ales as well as a selection of premium lagers and cider; service was efficient and friendly whilst prices were very reasonable. I don't know what my Purity's Mad Goose cost as I was in a round, but it was very good.
It's good to see some imagination applied to a once down at heel pub rather than just surrender to the developers and the Tapping the Admiral (NW1) is just around the corner. I would certainly come here again if I were in the area but I'll bet it gets very crowded on a Friday or Saturday.

On 15th October 2016 - rating: 7

john gray left this review about The Grafton

Big imposing corner pub.Spacious high ceilinged interior.Busy.Comfortable warm pub.Mad Goose,Landlord and Wandle on cask.

On 4th April 2016 - rating: 7

Ian Mapp left this review about The Grafton

Great pub - loads of room, loads of beer choice and the landlord was wonderfully kept.

Recommended.

Photos at my walking blog - http://bit.ly/21Jz75P

On 4th March 2016 - rating: 9

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Grafton

A fine Victorian building,the open plan interior winds around a huge island bar.The high ceiling,wooden floor and loud muzak means that noise reverberates around but the lighting and use of tea lights did create a decent pub atmosphere with a few original features dotted about.There was a mixed crowd in afterwork on my Friday visit,with quite a bit of bar blocking but the 8 handpumps were offering a real cider,Hammertons N1 (in good nick),West Berkshire Good Old Boy alongside regulars TT Landlord,Purity Mad Goose and Sambrooks Wandle with two pumps unused.
The tables around the interior were traditional wooden oblong or square and food is served.Looking at the dinner menu ,the median main was around £11 for what appeared standard pub grub and £4.50 for a scotch egg was taking the mick.There were small plate options but generally around £7,this may reflect the gentrification of the area.
Upstairs is signed to another bar,a roof terrace and a board room but I didnt investigate that far.Monday night is Pie Night at £12 for two while there is a quiz on Tuesday .
It's in the 2016 GBG and is worth a visit if in the area with the ale probably better value than the food.

On 27th February 2016 - rating: 7
[User has posted 2089 recommendations about 2089 pubs]

Steve of N21 left this review about The Grafton

First time to visit since the makeover and like other I have to say I like what they have done with the place. The beer choice has certainly improved from my last visit many moons ago and the same TT Landlord, Sambrook Wandel and Purity Mad Goose on for my visit and the one each from Hackney and ELB and the couple of halves I tried were in good nick. Well worth a visit and glad I dropped in here because I initially was going to walk straight past heading for the Camden Town Brewery

On 17th January 2016 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about The Grafton

There was an impressive range of real ales on in here – Timothy Taylor Landlord; Purity Mad Goose; Sambrook Wandle; Hackney Best Bitter; and By The Horns Stiff Upper Lip. A good selection indeed. All of the pump clips bear tasting notes and ABVs - but not prices for some reason. I was given the choice of a mug or straight glass. There were single sheet menus on all the tables - sandwiches are 6.8 to 8.9 (no unnecessary £s here); The Grafton Burger is 8.5, with chips an extra 2.5. Not cheap, but par for the course in this area I suppose.

This old Victorian pub is now completely opened up, but somehow has retained a vestibule in the corner with some nice etched and cut glass, as well as a complete large window at the back on the right with green banding (ex-Charrington perhaps) and some delicate stained glass panels in the upper sections. It's got a bit of the gastropub about it, with wine racks in the bar back, and no TVs or fruit machines that I could see. Furnishings are essentially normal tables and chairs, and the floor's bare boarded with what look like the original boards.

There are a few benches at the front on the pavement, and in addition there's a a roof terrace (not investigated). I saw a quiz night and live entertainment both advertised which to some extent gives the lie to the gastropub. Anyway, I reckon there's nothing wrong with a pub appealing to different kinds of customers. It certainly appeals to a real ale drinker. This pub has certainly improved a lot since since its refurbishment two or three years ago, and I would be happy to visit again.

On 8th June 2015 - rating: 7

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Grafton

Attractive Enterprise Inns pub, albeit having a bit of an odd layout with a narrow single-storey extension on the Grafton Road side and ceilings at different heights as you go around what has effectively become an island bar. The main entrance is quite interesting, with a couple of columns and a nice tiled step. Also has other notable features such as the bold tiling below one part of the bar counter. Thoroughly refurbished, with well-spaced traditional furniture, and restrained dark decor. There is another bar upstairs, along with the Boardroom and a roof terrace (not visited). Reasonable selection of real ales and ciders from eight handpumps, including Moncada Notting Hill Amber (£3.95, served in a jug, but slightly out of condition which was disappointing since the place is a local Camra award winner and Sky Great British Pub of the Year 2014). However, compared to my last visit four years ago when the only bitter you could get was John Smiths, a vast improvement.

On 22nd October 2014 - rating: 7

Malden man left this review about The Grafton

This is a single high-ceilinged boarded room with a central horseshoe bar. Although knocked through, the previous multi-roomed layout is still distinguishable and there is still a feel of separate areas. Part of the bar front has green tiling with the pub name in lettering, cast iron columns have gold painted fluted tops, ceiling fans whirr away. Most of the front windows are now clear glass replacements however some attractive leaded versions remain elsewhere and the entrance lobby retains some nice etched glazing. Lighting is low key, candles on the mostly regular height small scrubbed tables, a side area had a piano. It was very busy on Saturday evening with some music competing and losing against the babble of chatter which is magnified by the high ceiling and hard surfaces. I liked the atmosphere though, a mostly mature clientele enjoying a Saturday evening out in this vibrant area.
This is an Enterprise pub, not Antic, and on looking at the pub website has recently picked up an award. The beer range was certainly decent, Hogs Back TEA, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Twickenham Naked Ladies, Vale Brewery VPA, Windsor and Eton Knight of the Garter and a cider, Rosie's Pig. One pump was reversed and one unclipped.
A busy Saturday evening isn't always the best time to appreciate a pub but I liked it anyway and would be interested to visit again during the day to compare.

On 27th September 2014 - rating: 7

miss india left this review about The Grafton

I love the look and feel of the place since it was renovated so it's my go-to local nowadays. I'm quite happy to go by myself for a drink and to read the paper, which is usually my benchmark for a good pub. Always a good atmosphere, pretty lively at the weekend but more casual during the week. The Merlot is delicious and the new bar upstairs does a great cocktail. I'm not much of a beer drinker but they do have Camden Hells which I love and I've noticed that the ales on the pumps change often.

Couple of inaccuracies in the below review. I've met the owners and it's definitely an independent pub, not a chain. Also it mentions tables formally set for diners but I've never seen this (I go there often). I enquired about booking a table for a friend's birthday dinner recently but apparently they don't allow it, which I suppose is fair enough as it gets very busy in the evening, particularly on weekends. The food is very good though.

On 16th February 2014 - rating: 9