Bottled Beer Bargain Alert with aleandhearty on the Pub Forum

83 Moorgate
EC2
EC2M 6SA

Pub Type

Nicholsons (Mitchells & Butlers)

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Globe

I had a half of Thornbridge Wild Holly (£2.35 a half) which is obviously a Christmas ale, but as is the case with all Christmas ales as far as I can tell, was a rich and malty offering. Being a Nicholson's pub there were loads of other ales on as well. As it was close to Christmas, there was a decorated tree near the door, and a cauldron of mulled wine on the counter. They promote Pilsner Urquell in here, with a couple of brass tanks in one of the corners. They claim that the Pilsner they serve is as it was when it left Pilzen, as if that was a good thing. There was an area on the right called "Keats at the Globe", which appeared to be a dining room, but I didn't see a menu.

The interior is fairly characterless - it looked a bit like a bogstandard Taylor Walker pub. The furnishing are all tall tables/tall benches at tall tables, so there's nowhere comfortable to sit.

Being just a stone's throw from the City, and approaching Christmas, it was inevitably quite busy during my mid-afternoon visit, and I ended up propping up the bar next to the mulled wine cauldron. Perhaps at a quiet time it would be marginally better, but not much I suspect. But my Wild Holly was excellent, so that notches it up to a 5.

On 17th December 2016 - rating: 5

Tris C left this review about The Globe

I came here once before in the summer of 2001 so can't really recall it, but I think that it was more traditional with the stinky patterned carpet so beloved of chain pubs. This Nicholson's is a little unusual as it lacks the 'olde worlde' dark panelled interiors of others and looks more like a modern gastropub with a blue/grey colour scheme and two copper ale tanks (presumably containing lager) next to the bar. Music played at a moderate level and TVs showed the Olympics with the sound down. There were 10 ales on - too many to document but I recall Fuller's London Pride, Sambrook's Wandle and a couple from Truman's. I plumped for a half of Glamorgan's Pales of the Unexpected at a reasonable £2.15 and it was refreshing and decent on this balmy night.
Overall this isn't a very interesting place and there's better - barely - to be had locally so I doubt I'll return.

Closes at 5.00 pm on Saturdays and closed all day Sundays.

On 20th August 2016 - rating: 4

E TA left this review about The Globe

A somewhat chaotic Nicholson's, certainly not their best effort. The customers appeared mainly to be wannabee bankers and belligerent barrow-boys, while the foreign staff were charmless and not terribly helpful. There is a cash machine in the bar. The main bar wasn't a particularly comfortable place to eat, while the Keats Bar was extremely loud. Of the nine handpumps, only 5 were dispensing. I had a pint of Adnams Ghost Ship which was, to be fair, in very good condition. It's fine for a boozy lunch if you don't mind the noise, and I would probably include in an evening crawl simply for its beer quality.

On 21st December 2015 - rating: 6

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Globe

Not my favourite Nicholson's, but at least I had a slightly better experience that on my last visit five years ago when all the staff seemed to have vanished and the beer was poor when I eventually found somebody willing to serve. Anyway, the interior has been opened out at some stage to leave a 'J'-shaped bar, but this is still much less characterful than one would expect. This time I found a decent selection of real ales from a line of nine handpumps on the main counter, in a range of styles including several seasonal beers such as the Truman's Yule Star. Further space available in the adjoining Keats Bar, also with nine handpumps (and sometimes with a couple of different beers on). Rating upped a bit accordingly.

On 12th December 2015 - rating: 6

hondo . left this review about The Globe

2 bar Nicholson's pub with 9 real ale taps in each bar. Not the most characterful interior by Nicholson's standards.

On 30th October 2015 - no rating submitted

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Globe

Nicholsons seemed to have ramped up the ale offering here,I was reasonably impressed with the range on my Friday afterwork trip.The Keats Bar to the right is the place to head,it's a long thin room with the bar running along a good length of the right hand side.A jumble of chairs and tables are close to the flatscreen with mute BBC24 News,while opposite the bar is a long bench and fruit machines.Nothing unusual,but the bar back and wall paneling is traditional.The nine handpumps here were drawing regulars Doom Bar ,London Pride,Nicholsons Pale Ale with guests Thwaites Nutty Black,Redemption Urban Dusk,Hop Back Winter Lightening,Whitstable Pale Ale ,Bristol Beer Factory UPA and an excellent Kirkstall Dissolution IPA for £3.60.
The Globe Bar is up a step,a square room with flock wallpaper,some high tables by the window and another bar,this time with only six handpumps featuring just three guests,so buy your beer from the lower Keats Bar.
It is worth investigating upstairs signed to the Moorgate Bar and Dining where to the left is a formal dining room with waitress service,while to the right is a carpeted lounge which is a lot less hectic than the two bars downstairs,although you will have to carry your drinks up here.This lounge can be hired for a private party.
Given the good ale range in both styles and strenghts on my trip,I would say this is one of the better Nicholsons and worthy of a longer stay next time.Needless to say,it gets very busy Friday afterwork,so choose your time carefully if you want to avoid crowds.

On 1st February 2014 - rating: 7
[User has posted 2054 recommendations about 2054 pubs]

Steve of N21 left this review about The Globe

This used to be two separate pubs, The Globe and then The Moorgate next door, until Nicholsons
bought both and knocked them through to be the two room corner pub it is today. I prefer The Keats bar (as the old Moorgate portion is now known) as it tends to be quieter and more relaxing than the main Globe section.
There is usually six beers on the go, including the house Pride and TT Landlord and then changing guests which included Deuchars IPA last time I was in.
It may be that as I’ve only utilised this place on early evenings when emerging from Moorgate tube station for a quick first stop before moving on, that I haven’t seen it at its best. But it doesn’t strike me as one of Nicholson's better establishments in the City.

On 11th February 2010 - rating: 5

Steve C left this review about The Globe

This place had six hand pumps on during my visit and when I was eventually served by one of the many barmaids I was able to enjoy a nice pint of Landlord. The pub is split into the Globe Bar and the Keats Bar and they are fairly separate, although both were busy with the chatter of office life during my Thursday evening visit.

I saw no sport advertised even though there are a couple of TV screens in both bars, although there was some music playing which was a little loud for my liking.

I didn't think that this place was anything special, but it is ok for a quick pint before jumping on the tube.

On 25th June 2009 - rating: 6

john mcgraw left this review about The Globe

Large pub on the corner of Moorgate and London Wall.It has two seperate bars one of which is called The Keats Bar which also has another entrance in Moorfields.Music can be a bit loud.Four real ales on.2 mins from Moorgate Station.

On 29th November 2006 - rating: 8