Beer of the Week (w/e 16th February 2020) with ROBCamra on the Pub Forum

Pub Type

Punch Taverns

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Wellington

Side street boozer of the old sort, albeit one having its otherwise plain brick façade enhanced by a good floral display. It is also brighter than one might expect inside the public bar due to a refurb at some stage which has left a light wooden floor and pale cream paintwork. Basic furniture. Racing on the TV and a large screen mounted over the fireplace. Larger lounge to the rear (not visited). No sign of real ale, despite the Caledonian Golden XPA beer mats on the tables, so had to make do with a quick pint of John Smiths (£3.20).

On 15th June 2013 - rating: 5

Rex Rattus left this review about The Wellington

This is most definitely a backstreet locals’ pub with no discernable air or graces. I was in on Wednesday lunchtime when the only other patrons were a handful of apparently retired blokes. I felt quite at home. There was no real ale, and I saw no sign of any food or menus.
This pub is tucked away down a side street out of sight of the bustling North End Rd. It still has two separate bars, with what appeared to be the lounge accessed from the small road at the back, with the “Public Bar”, where I spent my visit, fronting on to Haldane Rd. This was the only bar that was occupied, thus is to where I gravitated.
There really is nothing special about this place. There was a well used dartboard, a well worn carpet, some small round metal-framed tables, and nothing special in the way of decor. This struck me as a pretty friendly local pub, but I have to say that I doubt I’ll be wandering down Haldane St to visit this one again.

On 12th September 2011 - rating: 5