Beer of the Week (w/e 16th January 2022) with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

SW3 2LY
Phone: 02075810005

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Graham Coombs left this review about Admiral Codrington

Posh pub in the back of Chelsea, fairly modernised but clearly still a pub. The island bar at the front is surrounded by space and tables, with a restaurant area to the rear and a covered patio to the side. A set of handpumps was tucked round the back of the bar dispensing Wandle, Bombardier and Whitstable Bay in very good condition. Despite looking expensive, the beer was not priced much different to others in the area.

On 14th June 2019 - rating: 7

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Admiral Codrington

Upmarket pub, as you would expect from the area. Island bar, but there is a particularly inconvenient cellar hatch which has to be roped off at frequent intervals. Modern dining room to the rear. Difficult to find a spot just to have a pint during the evening, but there is also a side patio if the weather's OK. Two handpumps, offering Doom Bar and Pride (£3.60). (NB - Review dates from April 2012.)

On 24th June 2012 - rating: 6

Nick Davies left this review about Admiral Codrington

This one still has a bit of pubbiness left in it compared to some places in the area though of course they're far more interested in getting you into their Michelin listed restaurant. Certainly during the day there's a fair cross section of, I guess, people who work round here using it as a pub, though I suspect things change as the day progresses and it fills up with locals who don't do any work in the accepted sense of the term. There's wood panelling and a fireplace that looks like it gets used on occasion, and the outside area is pleasant on a sunny afternoon. Pleasant enough spot to have a pint but we're well into £4 territory here.

On 25th July 2011 - rating: 5

Rex Rattus left this review about Admiral Codrington

There were two real ales on – Black Sheep Bitter and Spitfire. As you walk in, the bar is right in front of you; there are some sofas on the right leading to what looked like a large dining area at the back, and to the left was some more seating occupied by punters quaffing wine. Notwithstanding the two ales on, I didn’t see anyone drinking ale. I sat at the bar for a while as the staff bustled around, presumably providing table service, and as no one seemed interested in acknowledging my presence, let alone serving me a pint, I left. I got the impression that this is a cross between a restaurant and a wine bar, and not much like the pub it must once have been. It looks good from the outside though, and there is a small patio area, presumably used by smokers most of the time. I must bring my wife here sometime; she’d love it!

On 20th February 2010 - rating: 5

Steve C left this review about Admiral Codrington

This place is pretty much how I imagined a pub to be in this area with its well heeled clientele and restaurant at the rear. The front drinking area is quite small with an island bar stocked with Black Sheep and Spitfire along with a standard draught selection. I found the staff to be very friendly and my Guinness was very good, but it was on the expensive side which is to be expected I suppose.

There is some nice covered outside seating to the left of the pub that was handy to escape the smell of coffee beans that was overpowering the pub. This is also the first place I have been in to and witnessed a large group of men order a round of large Bombay Sapphires with port chasers – wtf!

This isn’t really my sort of place, but it was busy when other pubs in the area were not so they have got their target market interested so good luck to them.

On 4th February 2010 - rating: 6