Serendipitous Moment of the Week with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

SW1
SW1V 4LD
Phone: 02072336133

Komakino . left this review about White Ferry House

Still mostly as mentioned previously, retaining its separate bar rooms, along with three different entrances and it looks the business from outside. However, it's in essence a glorified hostel, and those in attendance on my brief visit were all on laptops, making the screens tuned into BBC News 24 pretty much redundant. Two ales at least - Sharp's Atlantic and Sambrook Wandle, with an un-noted cider on a further handpump (shame on me). The Wandle was inoffensive enough, but the prevailing atmosphere, summed up by the disinterested barmaid, reminded me much of Marylebone/Lisson Grove's Phoenix. There is a potentially cracking real ale pub here - and they could still keep the hostel bit upstairs that obviously ticks them over (70+ rooms for God-knows how much each night). They get a '4' for the Heritage bits and the real ale only.

On 25th November 2018 - rating: 4

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about White Ferry House

Attractive tapered building, which looks from outside like it has probably been 'done up' inside (but thankfully it hasn't). The two bars remain separate, and the furniture and decor is traditional. Offers cheap accommodation, so can be quite busy in the saloon bar with people checking in and out. Two handpumps in each bar, offering Courage Best and Bombardier (normally £3.20, but £2.90 during the happy hour, and served in the right glass).

On 6th April 2012 - rating: 6

Steve C left this review about White Ferry House

The White Ferry House is a Victorian pub that retains separate saloon and public bars. The Public bar is located in the right hand side and houses a pool table and plasma screen that was showing a women’s semi-final in the Australian Open via Sky Sports. This was muted as the jukebox was blasting out some random songs from ELO’s Mr Blue Sky to some reggae beats. The music was good, but a little loud for my liking so I decided to move into the saloon bar where there is another plasma screen that was showing muted rolling news. I didn’t think it possible but unfortunately the music in here was even louder than the in the public bar.
The bar is stocked with standard draught alongside Amstel and the two hand pumps were drawing London Pride and Courage Best. I found the pricing structure to be on a par with other pubs in the area, but there is happy hour(s) every day from 16:00 until 19:00 except Sunday when it is from midday until 15:00. During these periods the cost of a pint drops to £2.80, which is very good for these parts. Food is advertised outside, but inside all I saw was a winter soup and pizza that is available to eat in or take-away for £7.
This pub doubles up as a hostel and there were a few guests arriving during my visit on Thursday afternoon. The sign on the door to the hostel reads ‘gents toilet and accommodation’. I needed a leak and discovered that they are in fact separate!

The barmaid was very friendly and worthy of mention, but I thought that the pub itself was fairly unremarkable. There are better pubs in the area so I doubt I’ll find myself in here again anytime soon.

On 2nd February 2012 - rating: 6

Rex Rattus left this review about The White Ferry

Only Courage Best on, which was not brilliant even if it was only £2.30 a pint. This pub still has separate Public and Saloon Bars, with many original Victorian features still in place, including a very impressive bar back. There's a pool table in the public bar – undoubtedly not Victorian! This is a very comfortable pub. The music being played was not too loud, but it was not improved by having to compete with the tinny radio with the racing on. I quite like this pub, but I would like it a lot more if they did a decent ale – I suppose there isn't the market among the locals for a better choice.

On 11th March 2009 - rating: 6