pubs galore bar with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

Pub Type

Fuller's

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Stonemasons Arms

A Fullers gastro-pub, previously unbranded but a proper sign has been installed since my previous visit. The original room layout has been opened up to give a modest sized bar on one level and a larger dining area down a couple of steps. There is also a small function room / extra dining area upstairs. Two beers available on handpump - Pride and a decent pint of the seasonal Red Fox at a very pricy £4.05. Even if you don't like this type of establishment, it is nicely furnished and well organised.

On 5th November 2013 - rating: 6

Rex Rattus left this review about The Stonemasons Arms

This pub is unchanged since the previous reviewer's visit. It's still a Fuller's gastropub. In need of something to eat, I did chance my arm here and ordered a club sandwich (at £7.50 a pop), which somewhat inevitably came up on one of those ridiculous slate slabs, which was only slightly larger than the sandwich. The sandwich was OK though. There were just the two ales on - London Pride of course, and Fuller's Summer Ale. There were four of us, and all four pints were served woefully short. Top ups had to be requested and were not provided automatically - and the barmaid wasn't going to top up the shortest measure pint because she thought it had already been started on! What does that tell you? She made a token effort to put a bit more beer in the glasses, but no real effort to fill them up.

If you like gastropubs, then you may like this pub. It could not be more different to the pub which we had just come from - another Fuller's pub, The Andover Arms. I have no plans to return.

On 13th August 2013 - rating: 4

Malden man left this review about The Stonemasons Arms

This is an upmarket Fuller's pub and the only one I can recall seeing with black writing on the sign instead of the usual red. The interior revealed an L-shaped space with the far end down a couple of steps containing tables set for dining with cloths, wine glasses and so on. Wood floors, light walls, regular seating at reclaimed domestic dining tables and the current trend for mismatched chairs. Backed leather stools at the bar. The dining end has a few small tools in glass cases on the walls, other art includes a selection of pencil drawings and there is a stone greyhound on the end of the bar.
I didn't see menus mid afternoon however there clearly is food, wine seems more important than beer too with an extensive list on a pair of chalkboards. For a Fullers pub the beer range was poor, just Pride and Jack Frost, JF at £2 a half. My visit saw the other three punters drinking coffees.
There is a private dining room upstairs and a few outdoor seats.
Not my sort of pub, but it will suit some and it is at least open.

On 6th February 2013 - rating: 5

Steve C left this review about The Stonemasons Arms

This place is a little too restaurant like for my taste. My pint of Pride was passable at best and whilst drinking it from a glass that I would expect to be served an orange juice in I decided that I should have plumped for one of the many Premium lagers.

The staff were friendly, but I didn't like the layout or the atmosphere so I won't be going back again.

On 4th March 2009 - rating: 4