pubs galore bar with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

W6 0LS
Phone: 02087483614

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Dartmouth Castle

Doesn't seem to have changed much since my previous visit over four years ago, with a semi-traditional interior, gastro-pub furniture and the screened patio umbrellas at the front. However, it always seems to have a very subdued atmosphere, so given how close it is to the centre of Hammersmith, it is certainly somewhere to consider if everywhere else is rammed. Disappointingly, just Landlord (£4.90) from one of three handpumps this time.

On 22nd April 2019 - rating: 6

BobOs . left this review about The Dartmouth Castle

A Victorian street-corner pub that has seen better days although one or two nice features survive such as the carved bar back with etched mirrors. Three pumps - offering Landlord, Doom Bar and Otter Bitter which was in good form. Overall impression = average and I'd only return as part of another Hammersmith crawl.

On 27th February 2013 - rating: 5

Malden man left this review about The Dartmouth Castle

This is a longish single room at ground floor with a tiled floor, large clear glass windows and regular seating at scrubbed tables. Leather benches and mismatched chairs, candles on window cills. It is clearly an old Victorian street corner pub but nowadays has that feel of trying to be something vaguely trendy and upmarket, yet not quite getting there. A few original features of note such as the decorative cornice and the carved bar back with mirrors. Stairs rise up to another (unvisited) room.
The place looks foody however no one eating during my mid-afternoon visit and there were no menus out that I could see; a chalkboard listed today's special as Braised Beef and Slow Roasted Tomato Risotto with Parmesan (£8.50/11.50). I assume this depends on whether you want a bit or a lot. Decor is mainly food related pictures and posters.
A shelf held a selection of board games and playing cards and there were a few newspapers laid out at the end of the bar. The TV was off, jazz played quietly. Some outdoor seating with planted boxes and patio heaters.
Three handpumps, one not in use, Timothy Taylors Landlord which turned out to be off and Doom Bar (£1.90 a half).
Not really my sort of place however I expect it will appeal to an affluent mid thirties type of which there are many in the Hammersmith side streets.

On 6th February 2013 - rating: 5

Rex Rattus left this review about The Dartmouth Castle

There were just the two real ales on during my visit – the ubiquitous London Pride, and Black Sheep Bitter, with a third handpump unused. I had the BSB, which wasn’t brilliant, but drinkable, and not particularly good value at £3.30 a pint. This is clearly an old pub that has now been stripped out to make it more of a modern bar than a pub. There are some dark brown upholstered banquettes, scrubbed pine and metal framed tables, and plain wooden chairs. Comfort seems to take second place to appearance here. There are the usual sort of modernist prints of nothing in particular that you usually see adorning the walls in these sort of places. The bar back is worth a mention though – it had the appearance of a piece of original Victoriana, apparently mahogany, with some gilt figures (I couldn’t make out what they represented) along the top. Unfortunately the staff seemed to be too pre-occupied for me to be able to ask any of them about it. The beer’s expensive and not particularly good (based on only one visit admittedly), it’s not particularly comfortable, so I doubt whether I’ll be visiting again. But for anyone who likes these sort of made-over pseudo pub bars, then it’s a good example of its type and there’s no reason why they should not enjoy their visit.

On 16th May 2010 - rating: 5

Steve C left this review about The Dartmouth Castle

I've always liked this pub and enjoyed my recent stay after a decade away. The barman was extremely friendly and would be up for the friendliest bar worker in Hammersmith if there was such an award. He served me a nice pint of Pride and Skinners Betty Stoggs and I would have stayed for more if time wasn't against me. There is also a selection of premium lagers alongside Fosters.

It is not the biggest pub, but it is very well laid out and there is some seating out the front which has small walls around it that have window boxes with small shrubs in to block out the busy road. There are also some stairs leading upstairs, but I was quite happy where I was so didn't venture anywhere near them and I think that it is only a restaurant up there anyway.

I would make a detour to visit again.

On 5th March 2009 - rating: 8